PDA

View Full Version : Autoglym-SRP application

imported_mahd
08-05-2005, 08:56 AM
I was hoping to get some advice from some of you guys that have used SRP before. I have a 2 week old 2005, Summit White, Chevy Avalanche with dealer installed swirls, nothing terrible but I would like to reduce them. I have read some of the posts regarding SRP and noted that it does have some mild cut to it. I will be using my PC with a Sonus DAS blue pad and was wondering how to get the longest working time with the product. Should I prime the pad with a QD, as from my reading I get the impression SRP hazes quite quickley. Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Richt
08-05-2005, 09:24 AM
With a sonus blue pad, AG SRP will have very little cut. If you want to even try to use it toremove any swirls at all, you will need at least the green pad. I prime the pad with product rather than qd or water. Taking a panel at a time, the SRP will haze quite quickly. It is workable long enough to start off on speed 2/3 to spread it across the panel then up the speed to 4/5 to work the product to a nice thin layer. I normally to a panel at a time with it, then do the hood in tow halfs and the roof in quaters. Unlike other polishes that come off wet, SRP dries in a very thin layer when applied by PC and will wipe off easily without dusting.

Accumulator
08-05-2005, 10:35 AM
What RichT said, except that if you put SRP on a little thick you`ll get a little dusting. Most people keep it off trim; it can stain *some* trim so either test a hidden spot or keep it off.

Don`t expect any functional cut from the SRP. Even though it contains abrasives, and you can sometimes even hear them working, it doesn`t really cut paint very much (not even the soft lacquer on my Jag). It`s not gonna solve the swirls, so I`d definitely use a more abrasive product (i.e., a "real polish") first.

Richt
08-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Yeah very good points. I find it seems to stain most trim, esp textured bits. If you do get a bit carried away and apply it on the thick side it will dust, the PC however allows you to apply it really thin.

imported_mahd
08-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. As far as real polishes go I have SSR2.5 and 1,as well as 4* ultimate swirl remover. Any suggestions on how to get the best outcome using these with the SRP in the least number of steps. I am looking for a relatively quick solution as time is hard to come by now that I have a new 5 week old baby boy at home.

Richt
08-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Try the SSR 1 and polishing pad on a panel and see if that removes the swirls and then use the SRP. If not you may need to use the 2.5.

As you car is white you may be able to go SSR 2.5 then AG SRP. If you do see marring after 2.5 you will have to do follow up with SSR 1 and then the SRP.

I have no experince of the 4* sorry.

As you are pushed for time maybe just go for AG SRP with a polishing pad for now and see how it turns out?

imported_mahd
08-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks RichT. I think I will first try just the SRP on the polishing pad. The swirls are not bad on white, and thats why I bought white.

Accumulator
08-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah, you can always deal with any marring that bugs you later, one panel at a time. Just getting SRP/LSP on the whole vehicle will put you way ahead compared to where you`re starting from. Even SRP without a topper will last for a while.