PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat failure and repaint questions?

NorcalZ71
08-04-2005, 12:53 AM
My sister just turned 16 and shes looking at older K5`s an suburbans, 89-91 year model. As many know, GM paint has a tendency for clearcoat failure those years, and most stuff she has looked at is in good shape other than the hood and roof having CC failure. She is looking at a suburban tomorrow, firetruck red, that looks awesome other than the CC failure on the hood and roof. Is it possible to wet sand both these panels out to get rid of the clear, and then shoot a few new clearcoats? I know it would not be showstopping quality, but can it be done nicely? If she gets it, i will probably acquire it in a few years and then the fun will really begin, so it would not be a permanent solution.

papi_jay
08-04-2005, 07:47 AM
It`s possible , but even if you got the clear off and left the color 100% intact , it would do the same thing all over again .

When bc/cc are shot the clear is layed over the color while it`s still not cured allowing the clear to bind with the color so to speak .

I guess you could wetsand the color ( and risk going thru it ) oe scuff with sanding prpep gel and a scuff pad , clean up and lay clear adhesion promotor over the color , then spray the clear .

Accumulator
08-04-2005, 08:32 AM
IMO it`s not a good idea. Many shops won`t even *blend* clear, much less shoot it over existing colorcoats. I can imagine all sorts of excuses if it failed/delaminated later.

And red is hard enough to match as it is because of the way it fades/oxidizes/etc. And I don`t even see it being cheaper, as doing the "normal" prep/paint just doesn`t take all that long and it`s what the shop will be used to doing.

I`d much rather have the best "normal approach" repair I could get for the same money.

salty
08-04-2005, 11:36 PM
" Better get Maaco"

Accumulator
08-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Yeah, even a decent job at Maaco would be a better solution. Sometimes you can get lucky at places like that, it`s really all about who`s working there and how the job gets done. This job is basically large, flat surfaces, shouldn`t be all that big a deal other than getting the paint to match.