PDA

View Full Version : Getting a CE Rotary soon - noob question

Space_Coyote
08-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I am going to get a Chicago Electric rotary this weekend. I have read some people use a different backing plate, I was thinking about this one:

http://www.autogeek.net/5-inch-rotary-plate.html

I have some buffer marks in the paint from where my nephew tried to polish my black Eclipse. They are white `c` shaped scratches that turn into these long reflected lines in the sun. They don`t catch my fingernail or anything so I`m hoping they will buff out.

What pad/products would you recommend to start out with? All the different colours/manufacturers and product combinations are enough to make a novices head spin!

I was nervous about getting a rotary but after reading here I am more confident. I have my stock hood with the defects (before I switched to a CF one) to practice on.

boywonder
08-03-2005, 04:02 PM
I would start out with either of the following:

Sonus SFX-1 or 2

Menzerna Intensive and Final Polishes

Poorboys SSR 2.5, 2 and 1

For the more aggressive polish, I would use a cutting pad or polishing pad.

Pats300zx
08-03-2005, 04:21 PM
That is the same backing plate that I am looking at for my CE rotary.

holland_patrick
08-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Edge 2000 Enough Said

PaulTso
08-04-2005, 08:05 AM
2nd on the edge 2000. I jsut dont see how the edge pads can fail you in the long run....nothing to worry about except for the foam giving out. And usually its the velco that gives way, or the wrong backing plate digging into the foam. speaking of backing plates, you`ll never have to buy another backing plate because there is no backing plate to worry about or velcro to worry about. Just an adaptor that will last forever

Space_Coyote
08-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. Has anyone used these?

http://www.autogeek.net/vcpad.html

It says they were developed with LC or something so they sound ok.

Another question. I already have Zaino on my shelf so would what would be the correct steps?

something like:

SSR 2.5 cutting pad

SSR 2.5 polishing

SSR 1 polishing pad

Zaino

Can I get away with just SSR 2.5 & 1? Would I need something in between the SSR and Zaino?

Can you use a rotary with Zaino or is is best by hand?

Space_Coyote
08-04-2005, 08:16 AM
I do like how the EDGE 2000 are double-sided.

General Lee
08-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Harbor Frieght has the rotary`s on sale again right now, I just ordered one yesterday.

Space_Coyote
08-04-2005, 08:50 AM
That`s where I`m getting mine from. I am (or rather my buddy is) picking it up locally to save the $7.99 shipping and delivery time.

Would I need all 4 Edge pads? It says the white and blue are both for applying waxes and polishes so would I really need both?

papi_jay
08-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Blue is for applying final polish stage ( AIO , PO85RD , Glazes )

White is for your final sealant stage such as Klasse SG

Green and the right compound ( Meguiars #80/#83 ) should get the swirls out . Heavier work needs yellow then each pad up the scale to work out the last pad`s wear on the finish .

In other words yes get all 4 and teh 5/8 adapter . Better than placing two orders / two shipping if you need another pad

PaulTso
08-04-2005, 10:21 AM
ive used yellow on moderate swirls and ssr 2.5 and it leaves minor marring behind

Space_Coyote
08-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Any suggestions on Zaino application and if I would need an intermediary step between that and the SSR?

papi_jay
08-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Depending on what youre removing with the SSR and what pad you use will determine if you need something else before Zaino .

Zaino application would be best with blue pad if youre doing Z5 , then a final Z5 with white .

Then your z2 or z3 with white pad also ( washed and dried of z5 1st of course )

removed by hand or microfiber bonnet

Space_Coyote
08-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Thanks, thats good info.

papi_jay
08-04-2005, 03:16 PM
dawn and/or z7 wash of course also before applying any zaino