PDA

View Full Version : Fix for water around gas cap?

gssmith
08-02-2005, 12:49 PM
regarding 05 acura TL. In the gas cap compartment, especially on the lower left, inside lip, there is a great niche for dirt and water to collect. this looks like the same compartment design i saw in a 93 acura legend with serious rust around this area. Is there an easy fix for this - soft putty, ?? or should it just be left the way it is and trust the car makers? thanks.

03SilverDak
08-03-2005, 08:27 PM
take it to the dealership and tell them. they may know how to fix it. or send in the problem to acura and see how they can fix it. if you start putting puddy or what ever you use and the dealership sees that. they could void your warranty. a lil water isnt going to hurt your engine if it gets in your gas tank. god you ever think of how much water is in the gas you pump at the station?.

Setec Astronomy
08-03-2005, 08:31 PM
You need to wipe out that area when you wash the car, to clean the dirt, etc.

AutoCadillac
08-04-2005, 10:37 AM
This is a design flaw in so many cars. I hope you will take this into account when and if you are asked to complete a manufacturer and/or JD Powers survey. But to be fair, you should discuss it with the dealer first.

Try to keep it clean, dry and maybe use some spray wax to get in the tightest corners.

imported_hadboosttroy
08-04-2005, 09:46 PM
i never paid attention in our new tl. i will say the integra has a factory hole for the water to drain out of which i really enjoy :)

gssmith
08-08-2005, 05:57 AM
thanks for the advise. i once noticed that after i wash the car, water will still be in that little niche. so i`ll see what the dealer says and until then, keep it dry after every wash, rain and spinkler i run into.

gssmith
08-08-2005, 05:57 AM
thanks for the advise. i once noticed that after i wash the car, water will still be in that little niche. so i`ll see what the dealer says and until then, keep it dry after every wash, rain and spinkler i run into.

az57chevy
08-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Try waxing it too. I know it sounds weird to wax a part that is under covered but it helps to bead it off and keep it cleaner

az57chevy
08-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Try waxing it too. I know it sounds weird to wax a part that is under covered but it helps to bead it off and keep it cleaner

psl car wash
08-09-2005, 07:48 PM
if it really bothers you fill it ever so carefully with clear silicone than when fully dried use correct color touch up

psl car wash
08-09-2005, 07:48 PM
if it really bothers you fill it ever so carefully with clear silicone than when fully dried use correct color touch up