PDA

View Full Version : Question for all of you Long term Zaino users...

DopeCelicaGT
08-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Ok I have been using Zaino for quite some time now, just trying to use up my stash of it as I think there are far more superior products out there. Zaino isn`t bad by any means but I believe there is better things. Anyways my question is, "After using Zaino for say a year is it necessary to buff it off?" The reason I ask is because my car seems to have taken on a plastic look after using Zaino the past 1.5 years or so. I mean it looks awesome for a couple of days, then it rains, I wash it and it looks like it did before I detailed it, it has a shine but it is not the deep vibrant shine it used to have but rather a dull plastic look. The Zaino is still there and protects it phenomenally as you can just se the water bead up and whatnot but it just doesn`t seem to give it that long lasting shine that it used to have when I first started using their products. Does anyone have any clue as to what is going on?? I mean after I wash the car then spray it down with Z16 I think it is the car will look wet as crap for like a day but then it goes back to that dull plastic look. Could it be that I have layered it so much that I have effectively gave the car this plastic look? I know it sounds crazy but I dunno it just seems like it doesn`t look like it used to. Anybody got any clues??

Another thing I have got to ask is, "What is so bad about adding more than 3 coats of Zaino a day?" I keep hearing these people saying man you can really mess your car up if you apply Zaino too thick and whatnot, but they never say exactly how you can mess it up?? Thanks for any help in advance.

Justin

Accumulator
08-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Disclaimer- I have never used Zaino.

Most LSPs will eventually degrade for one reason or another, and/or they will get contamination built up on them and thus possibly between their layers if you don`t clean it off before adding more (so I often clay before adding more LSP). Probably just time for you to remove all the Zaino you`ve applied over that last year and a half and start over from "clean paint". If you don`t have any marring, a paint cleaner oughta do it, or use a mildly abrasive polish. Maybe the new Zaino product.

Matt M, PA
08-02-2005, 10:24 AM
I for one am sold on Zaino. I have yet to find anything taht evencomes close..and I have tried many. The recent upgrade to Z2 Pro is great.

I`d agree with the aobve post that it is possible you have to get the paint clean again as you may have contaminants between the layers.

I see no problem with multiple coats, but I think the point of diminishing returns is about 3 coats.

I also have yet to see the "plastic" look that some say is prevelent with Zaino. My vehicles (do a search on my user name for posts in click & brag) look absolutely wet, reflective and shiny. The metallics pop like crazy.

To each their own, if you are satisfied with Z, more on to something else. I`d bet you`ll be back.

ZaneO
08-02-2005, 10:38 AM
I`ve never experienced the "dullness" you`re experiencing. The looks stays for me similar to the water beading.

Are you using Z2 Pro or an older version?

I agree that you should try some other products and see if you have what you are looking for or if something else can give you that.

JasonC8301
08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
I`ve been using Z for a good while now and been playing around with a lot of other products too (of course only Zaino touches my car, which is 4 months old and has 7500+K on it, can check my gallery, only put on about 4 coats of Z2pro in a 3 1/2 month period, maintaining with Z-7 and Z-8) and haven`t seen this dull look.

As Accumulator said after a while contaminate get into the paint no matter what you use. I am pretty sure next spring I`m going to clay my car and polish with a paint cleanser so I can start fresh.

You can try something else and see if that other products works for you, Zaino works for me and I`m sticking to it for my car, but I like to play around with other products and see if it can top Z (haven`t found a product yet.)

drewski59
08-02-2005, 12:15 PM
I`ve never had problem with dullness. Prep is likely the culprit there. Make sure your paint is crystal clear before you start applying Z.

I`ve been very, very happy with Zaino on my car. However, as JasonC831 stated, every spring I usually start all over. That way you make sure your paint is in the absolute best condition possible.:wavey

imported_COBRyan
08-02-2005, 12:23 PM
I used to be a big Z fan. After finding this site and realizing there was `grass on the other side` I tried other products. I have since thrown my Z in the trash. Nothing beats the Zaino durability but just about everything beats its appearance IMO. A month or two less durability is a very easy tradeoff for me.

JeffM
08-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Hmm, interesting discussion.

I find that Z2pro has the look i like on the black on my truck, and on the grey metallic it is fantastic.

In the winter, when it is more like fall for the rest of the country, i will play around with some nubas, but im not expecting a huge improvement.

DopeCelicaGT
08-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Well after reading all of your above comments I must assume that the trash likely to have worked its way in between the layers is the likely culprit here. However, since I used Zaino before and no other polishes I just washed the car with the Zaino wash really good, then pulled it in the garage and clayed it, then washed it again, dried it, then began applying the Zaino as usual. After claying the car pretty well I assumed the paint should have been pretty clean. Perhaps I was wrong or perhaps it needed some more cleaning then I gave it but I thought the clay bar should have been sufficient. In any case I am not sure what is going on as the car def. does not have the same look it did when I first used Zaino. Perhaps next time I will buff the car first then apply the Zaino and see what happens. It could also be that I am mizing too much ZFX in the mixing bottles as I am not using 1 oz. to 4-5 drops of ZFX. I am using 4-5 drops in less than an ounce Z2 and Z5. I hate to be wasteful. Does anyone see a problem with this?? Thanks for the help.

JasonC8301
08-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Well I mix around 6-8 drops into an ounce and a half, I haven`t really read in detail the instructions but you can dial back the amount of ZFX you use with less product. Figure max 10 drops for 2 ounces, 5 for an ounce, you can get away with 2-3 drops for 1/2-3/4 an ounce.

As for claying, that can only do so much, clay only pulls the contaminates that are stuck on and make the clay smooth. Paint oxidizes so a mechanical light abrasive (paint cleanser) will remove that top layer and reveal the paints inner beauty.

chml17l
08-02-2005, 02:30 PM
I agree with Jason and Accumulator on this one. I think you definitely need to introduce a polishing step into your detailing regimen. :waxing:

Then, if you still aren`t happy with the Z look, why not try topping it with a quality carnauba.

dogma
08-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Its all preferance on what type of look you like. I love the look of Z on my black car. And with the additions of Z2 pro and Z8 IMO Zaino is untouchable. I used to say I don`t care if I have to wax my car every week, but when I wash then use Z8 my car is perfect. As far as old product they could possibly have problems, I have a full bottle of Z2 left but continue to order Z2 pro because I want the best regardless of cost, but thats me. I believe I have reached the ultimate look for me with Zaino , I have no urge to try anything else and its a wonderful feeling.

imported_memnuts
08-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Read my sig please.

Accumulator hit the nail square on the head in addition to that fact that Zaino is not self-cleaning or self-polishing (no abrasives and extremely low solvent content).

The Zaino layering fantasy is just that, a fantasy. From my years of experience with Zaino, I discovered the "only" reason one layers infinitium is because one is chasing a look that one`s prep did not develop. I max out now with just 3 initial layers and only one of these is Z5. Why? Prep.

A year and a half without cleansing or polishing your finish and just adding layer upon layer of any LSP is counter productive.

To satisfy yourself, like many of us, try some other products. Not after a good prep but with your present paint situation. Or you can save yourself some time and money and go back to your Zaino starting point. As you stated several times, it looked great back than.

Get the look you want with prep and protect with your LSP of choice. When that bell finally rings in one`s head, one is that much closer to the "Perfect Shine". With a good meticulous depth, wetness, gloss and reflectiveness developing Prep, the end-point of many LSP appearances are equally great. The deciding factor many times on which one to use is the longevity and toughness of that appearance greatness. :2thumbs:

Scottwax
08-02-2005, 09:56 PM
I agree with Jason and Accumulator on this one. I think you definitely need to introduce a polishing step into your detailing regimen. :waxing:

Then, if you still aren`t happy with the Z look, why not try topping it with a quality carnauba.

Agreed. No LSP looks its best without proper prep.

I`ve only used Zaino a few times, but I`ve never noticed a plastic look, the appearance to me is more like wet glass, almost as if I have another layer of clear on the car. A product you may want to try over Zaino is Optimum Car Wax. I`ve used it over Acrylic Jett (Carlack`s version of Klasse SG w/nano technology) that has a look similar to Z2 pro and OCW compliments the look very well by adding some depth but otherwise leaving the clear wet appearance.

jayder456
08-05-2005, 09:12 PM
I`ve used Z on my silver `01 Maxima since it was new with no problems yet. This is my daily driver that I pamper somewhat, but it`s definitely not a show car. Just clayed it a few weeks ago for the first time since originally using clay after doing the infamous Dawn wash when I brought it home from the dealer 8/01. Usually add a couple of coats of Z2 and/or Z5 twice a year, and predominatley wash with Z6. Durng winter I run through an automatic car wash every 2-3 weeks. After the recent claying (while doing a Z-6 wash) I tried the new Z2 Pro - doing 3 coats in a long day of detailing. (This is late season for me b/c I didn`t get to do my usual heavy-duty spring cleaning this year.) This yielded its wettest look ever, prompting a few positive coments from co-workers and neighbors.

We just bought a new CR-V for the wife in the pewter color (dark metallic silver/greyish). I Dawn-washed and clayed simultaneously in sections, thoroughly rinsed, and rewashed with Dawn, then applied 4 coats of the Z2 Pro - a really loooong detailing day in 90+ degrees in the garage. Looks nice, but it does not have nearly the noticeable reflective wet~shimmer that my lighter silver Max has.

To be sure, appearance is important to me. But lasting protection for daily drivers is a higher priority. Having to do only a couple of coats of Z twice a year has so far been sweet peace of mind for me - and I still look better than 80% of the daily road cars. :up