PDA

View Full Version : Applicators and Wipes

rickk
08-02-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi all,

Im wondering, what is everyone`s, or the recommended applicator/wipe for each application?

Here`s mine:

Glass: Glass MF and/or plain old newspaper

Clear Plastic: Old T-Shirts

Metal/Chrome: Old T-Shirts

Trim: Piece from a regular sponge for app, cheap MF for wipe

Interior: Cheap MF

Wash: MF washmitt, cheap MF for wheel wells, exhausts, etc.

Cleaner: Foam app, MF wipe

Polish: Foam app, MF wipe

Wax: Foam app, MF wipe, finish off (for an hour orso, hehe) with very soft cotton

QD: MF Wipe

Any suggestions? Especially the cleaner doesn`t seem to work too well with this combo, pretty hard to put on, hard to get off compared to the other stages...

If you can, please describe what I should be looking for instead of brand names, it`s very hard over here to get all the great stuff most of you US guys have (and I`m pretending that it`s just a hobby, so I try not to pay lots of extra for shipping/tax by ordering too much online), it`s just since a few months one of the stores over here started carrying Meguiar`s (First thing I tought when I saw this was: wow, there IS a god! :) ).

- Rick

rollman
08-02-2005, 03:06 PM
I use surgical towels on glass , foam and MF applicators. Wool to wash the body . Waffle Weaves to dry and MF for everything else.

pontman43
08-02-2005, 08:59 PM
For interior dressing I use a dish sponge without the scrubbing side (just pure sponge) its a cheap effective way of applying dressing. Works well at being able to apply it evenly.

chrisx
08-03-2005, 04:11 PM
I`ve heard that with the cleaners you should use a terry towel. Something to do with the ability to excert more pressure with the towel than a foam pad. I`m sure someone will be able to clarify further.

the other pc
08-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Hi rickk,

Here are some of my (humble ;) ) opinions (of course, your mileage may vary);

Glass: Glass MF and/or plain old newspaper

Newspapers around here leave too much dust and stray fibers, will scratch paint and the print comes off on your hands. Yuck.

MF glass cloths (I’ve used both waffle weave and “suedeâ€) work very well. Low or no nap cotton works pretty well too. Meguiar’s Duo-Fiber Glass Towels are great. Cotton terry cloth leaves too much lint. MF terry cloth “drags†too much on glass.

Clear Plastic: Old T-Shirts

I like to treat clear plastic much like paint. It usually scratches easily (especially instrument panel lenses). MF towels, either terry or suede.

Metal/Chrome: Old T-Shirts

Old T-shirts are fine but too big, cut them up into small pieces. Old terry cloth towels or cotton socks (inside out) work better for heavy polishing. The higher nap gives more “bite†and holds more polish.

Trim: Piece from a regular sponge for app, cheap MF for wipe

That’s good. Also, foam “paint brushes†are cheap and easy to find.

Interior: Cheap MF

Same here.

Wash: MF washmitt, cheap MF for wheel wells, exhausts, etc.

Many of the guys here don’t like microfiber wash mitts because they tend to “hold junk†and not let go. I haven’t had that problem. I like MF chenille wash mitts (but not the terry mitts). For wheel wells, exhausts, etc any cheap mitt is ok.

Cleaner: Foam app, MF wipe

Depends on how much aggressiveness you need. For ScratchX I’ll use foam most of the time but I’ll also use MF if I need a little more power and terry for even more “biteâ€.

Polish: Foam app, MF wipe

Same here.

Wax: Foam app, MF wipe, finish off (for an hour orso, hehe) with very soft cotton

I usually go with MF all the way but very soft cotton terry cloth is great too.

QD: MF Wipe

Same here.

`Especially the cleaner doesn`t seem to work too well with this combo, pretty hard to put on, hard to get off compared to the other stages...`

What cleaner are you using? If you’re using Meg’s cleaners like ScratchX or Deep Crystal Step #1 you shouldn’t let them dry on the surface. Work a limited area, maybe 300mm by 300mm at a time, don’t apply a lot of cleaner at once, work it in well (with passion, as Megiuar’s like to say) and wipe off before it drys.

PC.