PDA

View Full Version : Klasse AIO and SG

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Axe
08-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Well, I have tried all sorts of products, I have Mothers, Optimum, Megs, you name it. However, today I detailed AXE, and I decided to simply use AIO, it looked fantastic when done. Then I considered a topper, and decided on SG. I can say, with all honesty my car looks better than I have ever seen it with any of the other products I have used before. Tomorrow, in the early evening (thats when I finish work) I will add another coat of SG and maybe take a photo, but I am looking at my car right now and it is absolutely tops.

I have used the Klasse twins before, however I found that applying the SG was my problem, and it was all streaky and I was less than impressed. However, that was sometime mid December, with some pretty chilly temperatures so maybe that was the reason. I just thought I would share my thoughts on these two truly impressive products.

imported_guapsnaman
08-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Glad you`re pleased with your results as much as I am. I`ve been using the twins since I got my car in 2003 and am always happy with the results. However, I have never experienced any problems using SG. I always make sure that I can hardly see it when I apply it and then it`s always easier to remove and looks great.

515colfelt
08-01-2005, 03:02 PM
AIO/SG is one enduring combination, and with the amount used on a coat it lasts forever!

(It still doesn`t stop me from thinking about trying Zaino though) :chuckle:

Killdoordingers
08-01-2005, 03:42 PM
New Klasse user/convert.

I just applied another coat of the SG to my black integra 4 days ago and today had to park it in the sun for lunch. When I got back, some bird crapped all over the roof(3 spots) with some splattering down the driver side, a big blotch down the windshield and some smaller ones on the hood. I think it must have happened right after I parked as it looked baked on pretty good. Fortunately, when I got back, I whipped out the QD and wiped it off with a microfiber towel. Came off effortlessly. First time that has ever happened. Normally it will etch or require me to rub or use some kind of cleaner/polish but I truely believe the SG saved the day here.

I am not sure if I am doing it right as I don`t see anyone applying the SG this way but I do the following:

I take a 32oz spray bottle, fill it with maybe 6 oz of water, put 2oz of SG in and shake. I then spray the mixture on a microfiber pad and apply. I also spray the mixture directly on the paint and even it out with the damp microfiber pad. I let it haze and then wipe with a waffle weave MF and finish it by polishing with a terry MF cloth. This seems to work a lot better than trying to apply the SG straight as I can`t get the coat thin enough and it is a pain to remove. This also helps to minimize streaking. It seems to have stood up to the bird dropping test.

imported_series1
08-01-2005, 03:50 PM
I have found Klasse`s durability to be unmatched by anything else I`ve ever used. The look is great too. It keeps bugs off which is a big plus because cleaning them off is a pain. And like Killdoordingers said it makes everything easier to clean off.

Gonzo
08-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Axe,

"My name is Gonzo and I am a Klasse-aholic"

The real secret to the application is in my signature. Here is the method _I_ use for application to get it really, really thin (and therefore never have difficulties to removing it)

Once you wiped off the AIO, get a clean microfiber and soak it with tape water (distilled water if you are truly anal) and wring it out, but not to the point of "dryness". Wring it out almost dry, such that if you were to continue from that point to "as dry as you can get it", you would only get about 3 more tablespoons of water out. Next fold in half, then in 1/3`s along the "long" side of the first fold. Next, dribble a thin line (1/8") of SG down the center of the (long side) 1/6`th surface, starting maybe 1 inch from one edge to about 1 inch from the other. This is sufficient SG to do 1/2 a hood, a door, a trunk. Wipe over the area twice - sort of one pass going and one pass coming back. IMMEDIATELY, with a clean & dry MF, wipe it off. If you see a streak, just hit it again with your "applicator" and another clean and dry MF. Work your way around the car and, ... , voila!

About 1/3 to 1/2 half the car, you may note a little stickiness on your hands and applicator. 2 choices exist here - just refold the applicator so your next SG dribble is on a "clean" face; or completely rinse it out, using the water of your choice, wring out as described and start a-fresh. This is how I`ve modified BN`s WOWO method for life in a hot and humid environment. This works in full sun at 95 degrees F for me - the secret being a super thin layer and the immediate wipe-off. My fallback, in the event of "slight" streaking is to do a final wipe down using Sonus Acrylic Spritz.

Repeat every couple of days, until you get blinded by the reflections!

After the last SG layer, you will notice the SG loosing a tad slickness after 2 weeks or so. Hit it with the Sonis AS or add a layer of 4* UPP - both are fully compatable and layerable with SG any time after the first SG on top of the AIO.

imported_Axe
08-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Haha nice Gonzo :) May well give your method a try next time, however I am inclined to also give Killdoordingers method a try, only perhaps I won`t use 2 ounces. Either way, thanks for the tips, and the appreciation of a truly great product, I really must sleep now, but tomorrow evening I will post a pic if I get chance.

imported_series1
08-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey Gonzo does the SG mixed with water in the MF you apply it with affect SG`s durability? Does layering UPP over it affect it`s durability?

Gonzo
08-02-2005, 03:54 AM
series1,

No problems of any kind! I have always applied AIO, then at least 1 SG before layering Sonus AS and/or UPP and/or more SG. There are several different ways all 3 can be combined, and I must have run through them all on my Lightning. It lived in the driveway 7/24/365 in Houston`s heat and humidity and I never noticed any bonding problems or any layering problems or had any streaking issues, except when I carelessly laid down too much SG. I have used SG "straight" using a 4" yellow foamie just a few times when I first started using it and those were the times I _did_ have streaking issues (because it went on too thick). But after I discover BN`s WOWO and added my own flair to it, SG has always been very kind to me and rewarded me with excellent results, so much so I have not _wanted_ to try much of anything else.

Where _I_ add less than 3 tablespoons worth of water to the SG over 1/2 a car, Killdoordingers method disturbs _me_ a little. Yes it will apply super thin, but he isn`t going to use 8 ounces on the car all at once, so what happens to the SG in all that water between detailing sessions? Maybe that could affect the longevity of the SG - he`ll have to keep use all updated on his findings.

mdsmithers
08-02-2005, 06:19 AM
like Killdoordingers, I use the spray method as well, not sure that I can comment on durability since I`m always applying another layer whenever I have some spare time. I`ve tried other methods and this one works for me. Shake bottle, spray panel, spread thinly with microfiber applicator, wipe with a microfiber towel, another pass with a finish microfiber, enjoy.

College Commish
08-03-2005, 12:38 PM
I may have to try yoyur idea Gonzo.

I have applied SG via PC on my 3 series, it looked good initially, but it is now very streaky in spots. It pains me to look at it, problem is I have a 4 mo old and very little free time to fix it. Ugghhh. Have any of you applied via PC? I guess I need to get over the mental hurdle of you are not using enough product and realizing that the car is protected with a very THIN coat.

imported_series1
08-03-2005, 12:51 PM
I know I`m gonna try Gonzo`s method. He says he is a Klasse a holic and has not really wanted to try anything else so he should know a lot about Klasse`s durability and the best way to apply.

JeffM
08-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Has anyone tried to prime a MF applicator with Sonus AS for applying SG?

This is how i apply Z2pro, but, um..i use Z8 of coarse.

Gonzo
08-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Believe me, I`m not the (Autopian) recognized expert on SG - Bill North is for his WOWO method. Others here use the KLASSE twins completely differently (like letting the SG haze for 24 hours or more before wipe-off). Each has it merrits and demerrits. What I outlined above is what works for me time-wise, effort-wise and climate-wise. My recommendation is start with _any_ method, then adapt it to the way _you_ want to work in _your_ environment.

Killdoordingers
08-05-2005, 02:05 PM
My spray method was one I thought of before I saw BN`s WOWO method in desperation to minimize streaking/make removal easier. My distributor had mentioned to me that she does the WOWO on her car but doesn`t dilute the SG. I wasn`t too keen on that at first because I thought, as a sealant, the product would need to set longer. I think Gonzo`s method is a far safer way to go right now.

I initially was using Crystal Guard Pro top coat in a spray bottle diluted with tap water and it still seemed okay after sitting a few weeks inbetween coats. I also have some Crystal Guard Quick diluted in a spray bottle which I was using for 2-3 months prior and it worked the same as when I first used it. I think PTFE is far more volitile than whatever is in the SG so I figure the SG should be fine for a while. I shake the spray bottle every time I spray it though.

It has only been a few weeks since I first diluted my SG and it seems to work fine in the spray bottle. I just cleaned off the hood and applied another coat via my spray bottle/MF covered foam pad applicator(those white ones you always see sold by the distributors with the twins) and it seems to be working the same.

I do have an update on the bird stuff though. The white bird crap doesn`t seem to damage much but I just had a bird crap some redish stuff on my hood and after only 45 minutes it had already etched through to the clear coat. Luckily I was going to detail a friend`s car so I had all my stuff with me and the AIO took out most of it before it could eat down further. I really need a PC to get that deep, clean lustre. The black looks fine at night but under strong metal-halide or direct sun I can see the spiderwebbing and light scratches and it feels like nails on a chalkboard.