PDA

View Full Version : Made some foam tools

spartacus_33
08-01-2005, 09:18 AM
I bought a bunch of Rain Dance applicators from eBay. I saw some of the pricey swabs on the detailing sites, so I decided to get creative. First I cut the foam into pieces. Then I cut a small channel with pointy scissors. I used a handle from those cheap foam paint brushes, and moved on to popstix and chopstix. I tried foam from applicators, and packing foam[charcol]. Now when I want to apply dressing to rubber trim, or paint that chip I just made in the wall, I have a useful tool.

Jerry

imported_series1
08-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Interesting. The 2nd picture is a great idea for dressing trim like that.

Matt M, PA
08-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Great idea Jerry.

I have been doing something similar for years. I but the cheapie wooden handle foam brushes at the craft store. They regularly run a sale at 20 for $1. The come to a chiseled point that can be cut flat, or tapered on the side.

Asonyexec
08-01-2005, 10:35 AM
wow what a great idea. before I found this site and knew there were so many specialty items for sale, I remember having gone to a glass store to have a piece of plexi glass cut in a 16" diameter so that I can protect my rims when I would spray the tire protectant. I thought I had a great idea until i found this site LOL.

FYI. Next to one of my favorite restaurants is a mattress retail store and next to it a furniture retail store, both excellent sources of free foam material. Not that I`m into dumpster diving but hey they throw away tons of the stuff. I usuall grab an arm full and cut it up at home to use in applying various products.