PDA

View Full Version : doest anybody use power inverters!!!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

eliceo95
01-07-2005, 03:33 PM
I have a mobile detailing business and I run my vacuum,pressure washer and water pump from a generator. The problem is this generator is to noisy and I was wondering if anybody knows how a power inverter works or can tell about a quieter generator. I appreciate any help that I can get.Thankyou

Xtreme
01-07-2005, 03:46 PM
I would love to know this one too. Been looking at a few.

I hear that the Honda generators are real quiet. Been searching the net for those too. But would love to see if the inverter would be better for me since i do not have alot of room at this time.

Found this site on inverters.
http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/12_volt_power_inverters.html

rollman
01-07-2005, 05:12 PM
The EU line of Honda generators are some of the quietest ones out there. They make them from 1000 watts up 3000 the EX line goes from 4500 to 5500. I know of guys using inverters for road service work but they run them from 2 big truck batteries.

Xtreme
01-07-2005, 06:24 PM
The EU line of Honda generators are some of the quietest ones out there. They make them from 1000 watts up 3000 the EX line goes from 4500 to 5500. I know of guys using inverters for road service work but they run them from 2 big truck batteries.

Thanks for the help rollman :)
How many watts do you think someone would need to run say the PC and a vac ? is 2000 more then enough? I would think it would.

I was looking at the inverters that had 2300 watts continuous power 4600 watts peak power. That should be just fine.

rollman
01-07-2005, 08:27 PM
A 2000 watt gen would run that stuff with no problems . I doubt you be running them both at the same time.

Xtreme What part of Delaware are you in ?

Xtreme
01-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Ok do you know of a portable unit? i saw a coleman one at wallmart it was an 1850 watt. Yeah i would not be running them at the same time.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2515438

I live in Newark. Good old borning Delaware :) Being from New York i get bored quick.

ron`s
01-07-2005, 10:20 PM
An Inverter would work but you would need to keep your car running during operation of your Shop Vac. It will shorten the life of your battery and alternator very fast. Just spend the bucks and get the Generator

scottabi
01-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Honda generators are real quiet

my shop vac is louder than my honda eu3000i

Xtreme
01-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Yeah i agree after thinking about it. the thing is right now i will only be working out of my Toyota Camery. I need to fit the generator in my trunk and the only one i see is the link above from walmart. Looks good just want to make sure that it will run the PC. I hope it will.

In time like a year from now i hope to get a van and get the bigger gen and then water tank and all. but as of now need something small that will work.

Thanks for the reply :)

eliceo95
01-09-2005, 04:29 PM
my shop vac is louder than my honda eu3000i
i would to ask you if the honda eu 3000i will run my MyTee HP60 - Heated Automotive Extractor

Xtreme
01-09-2005, 05:16 PM
i would to ask you if the honda eu 3000i will run my MyTee HP60 - Heated Automotive Extractor

I think you would need to know the surge output on the extractor.
Honda has a chart you can go by as well. the additional wattage is what you need to look at. the start up.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/genwat.asp

rollman
01-09-2005, 05:46 PM

I know one of the guys here runs a Mytee 8007 with the EU 3000 with no problems.

Secret Chimp
01-12-2005, 07:55 PM
I have a mobile detailing business and I run my vacuum,pressure washer and water pump from a generator. The problem is this generator is to noisy and I was wondering if anybody knows how a power inverter works or can tell about a quieter generator. I appreciate any help that I can get.Thankyou

I use a power inverter. The only noise you hear is the whir of the cooling fan. They hook directly up to your vehicles battery via clamps (or hard wiring if you would like).

They only draw as much current as the tool it is powering. Running a vac draws at most 10 amps. A polisher is like 3-4 amps. So killing your battery quickly, or ruining your cars alternator isn`t an issue (unless that alternator is on the brink of failure already). But you will drain your battery after about an hours constant use. If you have a lot of vacuuming or polishing to do, you should probably start up your vahicle every 45 mins or so to keep your battery topped up.

Here is the inverter I am using

http://www.invertersrus.com/inv1250w.html

If you are trying to figure out how powerful your inverter (or generator) needs to be to power your tools, use this calculation.

Amp draw x 120 volts = watts

Most tools have a sticker or imprinting that outlines the amperage needed to operate them. My Craftsman shop vac needs 8.5 amps to operate correctly. So 8.5amps x 120 volts = 1020 watts. So if I plan on operating only one tool at a time, and the shop vac is my highest amp drawing tool, my generator or inverter must be able to provide constant current of AT LEAST 1020 watts.

SC~

Xtreme
01-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the link :) it seems they also have Inverters with Chargers.

The AIMS 1500 Watt modified sine wave power inverter with charger provides ample power to run all devices continuously which are rated at 1500 watts or less. With a built in charger, you can use your inverter to charge your 12 volt batteries while you draw power from your inverter. Simply connect your inverter to a 12V dc battery, such as the one you would find in your car, and you will have instant dc to ac portable power! With a peak of an amazing 2500 watts, the 1500 watt power inverter with charger will fit many applications

seems like this would be even better so you will not kill the battery.

http://www.invertersrus.com/inv1500wc.html

Secret Chimp
01-13-2005, 01:05 AM
no prob....

But I think the charging functionality of that inverter was meant to charge things like cordless drills or other battery operated devices. You can`t charge your vehicle battery with something being powered by that battery. Thats what the cars alternator is for.

btw... I read at another site that oftentimes battery chargers don`t work well when being powered by a power inverter. Thats why these things often have a `special` feature that allows them to charge batteries.

SC~