PDA

View Full Version : Griot`s Garage Rubber Cleaner

autoguru21
07-31-2005, 02:25 PM
I`m looking at ordering about $300 worth of products from griot`s garage,including their rubber cleaner,and i was wondering if anyone has pictures of a tire cleaned right after using griot`s rubber cleaner and no dressing applied, and i was wondering how everyone feels about it`s cleaning power on a scale of 1 - 10.

I would also like everyone`s opinion of their vinyl & rubber dressing,in terms of shine,durability & i would like to know whether it`s water or silicone based, if anyone has pictures of their tires cleaned with griot`s rubber cleaner,then dressed with griot`s vinyl & rubber dressing i`d appreciate that,don`t mean to sound like a pain in the butt,i really appreciate it fellow autopians,and i think i`ve gotten the sickness,because i have about $1,500 - $2,000 of detail supplies in my basement :spot :werd:

Accumulator
07-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Well, I can`t help with pics as I`m still in the stone age with this internet stuff, but I`ll give you my $0.02 on those Griot`s products as I just used them on the S8 this afternoon.

The Rubber cleaner is mild. *Very* mild, quite possibly *too* mild. It`ll take multiple applications and agitation (brush, etc.) to get the tires clean. I pre-clean with EFHI first when I use it to clean tires. I still like it for some reason, but I can sure understand why somebody might like another product better. Tires/etc. cleaned with it (cleaned *thoroughly*, which might take some doing) look nice and black, just like new rubber oughta look. Trick is to do it thoroughly.

The V&R dressing is OK, not too shiny/slimy/tacky-sticky. I`d guess that it`s water based. Doesn`t last all that long but it looks OK. I greatly prefer Zaino Z-16 for tires both for the more-satiny look and the *FAR* greater durability. I generally prefer Pinnacle`s V&R dressing for interiors/etc., but it behaves strangely on some interiors (Audis and C5 `vettes come to mind). Durability isn`t very good for stuff like tires/etc. that are exposed to the elements or washed frequently. With all the other V&R dressings out there, you might wanna rethink buying from Griot`s. I`m basically just using mine up (I have a bunch left over from when my late father was ordering stuff, he liked Griot`s for one-stop shopping). But it did make the S8`s interior look nice and I`m pretty careful about what I use on that car.

If you do the tires with these two products you`ll have to work a bit and you`ll have to redo them after a few weeks if you want to keep them really nice.

For rubber weatherstrips that contact paint/glass, I`d use something with a lower slime-factor. I like Wurth`s Rubber Care or their Gummipfledge stuff the best.

There are some Griot`s products that I consider indispensable, but those two aren`t really among them.

JeffM
07-31-2005, 06:13 PM
If the rubber cleaner is anything like the trim cleaner, then it is very weak.

If you are spending $300 bucks on products from Griots, you can do better. Griots isnt that cheap, and their products dont perform as well as some of the other ones talked about here.

Accumulator
08-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I could easily spend $300 at Griot`s, but it would be on their Car Wash (I buy gallons of it), BHBs- both the little ones (pn 15520 IIRC, I recommend these so often I think I`ve memorized the number) and the ones for wheels, their polypro window towels, their Interior Cleaner, maybe their Undercarriage Spray, uhm....I`m running out of ideas right about there. Their swabs are good, but probably available cheaper elsewhere. Oh, their tire-dressing applicator thing with the replaceable pads is nice, a lot better than I expected.

I have a garage-full of Griot`s stuff, but a lot of it really is overpriced and underperforming compared to the competition. But some things they offer are great, just gotta separate the wheat from the chaff.