PDA

View Full Version : How to take care of a mazda black

Pages : [1] 2

manmanSS
07-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey guys,

I just got my miata in brilliant black, love the car but I am having some trouble detailing. I can get it shiny but I cant get a deep wet look.

My recent process was:

Meg Clay

Meg #7 glaze

Meg #26 carnuba

I dont know why....but I cant get a deep wet shine

thanks

imported_themightytimmah
07-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Depth is in the prep work. Consider polishing the car with SSR2.5 followed by SSR1, then use #7/#26, or any other combo you like. For me, its RMG/Pinnacle Souveran, but there are a lot of quality glaze/carnuba combos out there.

yankees1
07-31-2005, 07:10 AM
Hey guys,

I just got my miata in brilliant black, love the car but I am having some trouble detailing. I can get it shiny but I cant get a deep wet look.

My recent process was:

Meg Clay

Meg #7 glaze

Meg #26 carnuba

I dont know why....but I cant get a deep wet shine

thanks Pinnacle Souveran!

manmanSS
07-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Can I try multiple coats of Meg #26 if so how much time between coats is needed.

:ca

White95Max
07-31-2005, 03:20 PM
You can apply multiple layers of #26, but you should polish the car before applying a glaze. The polishing will really bring out the depth and gloss from your paint.

manmanSS
07-31-2005, 03:44 PM
can I use the meguiars consumer level polish as I have some of it left. Or should I really go out and get AIO. Also What is a glaze then?

So now next time how will I go about this?

1. Clean

2. Polish

3. Glaze

How do I get rid of all the stuff that is already on, clay it or use a little bit of dishwashing soap.

White95Max
07-31-2005, 03:54 PM
The polish will get rid of anything that is on the paint. IMO, I`d get the SSR polishes to use with a PC. AIO is great stuff too, there`s a reason you hear so much about it.

A glaze is usually just a product that contains lots of fillers and oils to generate a wet-looking finish. A lot of products are mislabeled as glazes, like 3M Perfect-It Machine Glaze for example. That`s an abrasive polish for use with a polisher.

If I were you, I`d do:

Polish with PC and SSRs

Clean paint with AIO

Sealant of your choice

Nattys

If you want to stick with what you have, you can try the Meg`s polish, #7, and #26. You could also substitute NXT wax for #7, and apply #26 over that. NXT has cleaners in it, so it would kinda serve the purpose of AIO by cleaning the paint.

manmanSS
07-31-2005, 05:36 PM
I did use #7 polish...see it says glaze on the thing is it a glaze or a polish?

AIO will be here soon :)

manmanSS
07-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Which SSR do I need....Both my cars have some minor swirls but nothing major

White95Max
07-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Yeah #7 says it`s a "pure polish", but it`s called Show Car Glaze...contradictory. As I said, a lot of products are mislabeled as glazes or polishes.

SSR1 would work for very minor swirls, but you may want to get some SSR2 as well. Assuming that your opinion of "minor swirls" is accurate (very often people think their swirls are more minor than they really are, and hard clearcoats can make them seem even more major), you shouldn`t need more than SSR2.

manmanSS
07-31-2005, 10:40 PM
Hows 2.5 sound for now though can I just use #7 as a polish and do multiple coats of LSP

White95Max
08-01-2005, 06:16 AM
Well #7 is hardly a polish at all from my experience. It just contains lots of fillers to give the impression that it`s polishing swirls out.

2.5 would be fine, but if your swirls are minor like you said, you may unnecessarily be removing more clearcoat than you should.

BTW I drove a manual 2001 MX-5 Convertible the other day. That was a blast! :xyxthumbs

Accumulator
08-01-2005, 08:51 AM
A bit of clarification:

#7 is functionally nonabrasive. It won`t act like a "polish" in the normally-understood way. It is also *much* better suited to single stage paint than it is to basecoat clear.

Best approach IMO if you want to keep it simple is to get some Meg`s #80. Yeah, it`s called "Speed Glaze" but it`s a mildy abrasive "polish" (forget normal word defininitions when dealing with Meguiar`s products).

Use that and then apply the #7 on top of it. Apply the #26 on top of that. If *that* combo doesn`t get it for you, you`re probably gonna have to look to other product lines. But the #80 is quite user-friendly and it works well for most people. A little mild for Mazda clear IMO, but it`s still what I`d recommend.

manmanSS
08-01-2005, 09:03 AM
I`ll get #80 I guess and I will order AIO and SSR 2

White95Max
08-01-2005, 09:04 AM
SSR2 is comparable to #80, so I`d get SSR2.5 and #80. That way you`ll have something stronger should you ever need a more aggressive polish.