PDA

View Full Version : Down to the primer, what to do (Boston/Metro West)

Pages : [1] 2

shook2323
07-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. Unfortunate that my first post is about this. :wall

I had a nasty spot on my G35, on the rear passenger side door. I couldn`t get it out by washing (I`m a zaino user), so I tried to use Dawn, and then clay on the area. That didn`t work either. Long story short, I used a rubbing compound too hard, and we went down to the primer. :wall

I`ve learned my lesson, I`m not good at this, but I want to have it fixed. The size of the blemish is about a nickel, and the color paint is what Nissan/Infiniti calls Diamond Graphite (it`s a metallic). I do have the factory touch up paint (the pen type with clear coat).

What can I do to get this looking good. I realize that it might not be perfect. I`m in the Boston/Metro West area, willing to travel to get it fixed if that`s what it takes. Any thoughts? Thanks all, I`m loving this forum! Here`s some pics of it too..

Accumulator
07-30-2005, 05:09 PM
shook2323- Welcome to autopia! Heh heh, don`t beat yourself up too badly, a lot of people make that kind of mistake.

The best thing to do is find a good paint shop to "spot it in", that is, repaint the area in question. It won`t cost too much and a good shop can make the repair almost undetectable. Trying to fix it yourself will, IMHO, only lead to greater frustration.

*Somebody* in your area should be able to do it. FWIW, I travel 90 minutes or so to the shop *I* patronize, so look outside of your immediate area if you have to.

rollman
07-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Wow you really put some elbow into that .

shook2323
07-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Wow you really put some elbow into that .

You know, honestly I have put a lot more elbow into other areas of the car, and gotten some great results. Nonetheless, where can I find a person to repaint it in my area, one that is reputable? I mean, what do you search in the yellow pages or this site to find some one good?

papi_jay
07-30-2005, 05:45 PM
shop should fix it for under $50 or $100 MAX if they do all the following .

They`ll abrade it with 400 grit and feather out surrounding it , spray base a few times dry coats over only the spot while taped off , wet sand/feather the edges out , then blend spray / fade base until covered and clear over it fading outwards .

Then they`ll either use edge blender or wet sand it until " perfectly " blended and rub/polish out properly to match .

I think even a detailer experienced in touch up could airbrush repair it if he has your oem paint mixed properly

shook2323
07-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks Papi, that`s good to hear that it won`t cost all that much to fix! Where can I find some one like you describe in my area?

MorBid
07-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Look in the yellow pages for Auto Body shops but do yourself a favor first and get an estimate from the Body Shop at the dealership first.

I say that because they will restore the panel to "factory condition" they have to and you`ll pay the most to have them do it. That way you`ll know the "top end" of the cost to repair it and have a reference for other quotes.

I don`t think it wil cost $100 dollars though at any reputable shop. You can try posting over at http://www.autobodystore.com which is site run by someone who owns/operates his own AutoBody shop and alot of other pros hang out there as well. Someone there might be in your area and/or can give you a some pricing information.

papi_jay
07-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Well when the local body shop tells me $200 to respray an entire hood with bc/cc OEM color PPG paint including prep and rub out , and it`s a VERY reputable shop ( with a friend of a close friend price ) then I`m sure normal price for a spot repair would be $100 or less .

Unless you are saying should be even cheaper MorBid .. ?

rollman
07-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Go here > http://www.detailingdirectory.com/ fill out the service request part ,ask for a Paint touch up service . In most big citys you`ll find mobile paint touch up guys that service car dealers doing touch up work . Perhaps someone that does this service will see your request. Good luck

MorBid
07-31-2005, 01:09 AM
papi_jay:

I`m not dissing the information you provide nor who ever it is that provides this service.

However after painting a few cars and being familiar with the process and after having a similar incident happen to me and getting a quote is what I mean when I say I don`t agree with the cost being $100.00

For instance, the entire panel is going to have to be sanded down anyway (you cannot blend CC nor can you shoot another coat of Clear Coat over the exisitng cured coat).

So while your description of the process is somewhat correct you ommit that part (which is going to add more time to the final cost)

Not to mention the removal of any trim, mirrors, door key lock cynlinder. Taping masking the entire car (hopefully washing it before hand).

I would also add you mentioned in your repsonse that you got a "friend of a friend" price. So unless your sending the poster to this same shop and getting him the same deal how can that be same as what another shop is going to charge a regular customer.

Autobody work is very expensive because it`s labor intensive and these guys don`t work at Micky D`s hourly rates.

The dealership might be getting $30.. to $40.00 and hour local shops may go down to 20. At the rates you quoted, the panel/car whould have to be prepped, effect the repair, and re-finish in a couple of hours charging maybe $10.00 for materials

papi_jay
07-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Mor , I meant a blend job not an entire panel respray . Some shops wont do blends and only recommend full panel repsrays . Those are the lazy , not so hot ones imho

Accumulator
07-31-2005, 12:07 PM
... the entire panel is going to have to be sanded down anyway (you cannot blend CC nor can you shoot another coat of Clear Coat over the exisitng cured coat)...

I don`t wanna :argue or otherwise sound like a [INSERT derogatory noun HERE] or anything, but I`ve had a *lot* of "spot-ins" done. Many instances of blending CC into/onto existing clear. At least with Spies-Hecker paint, it works fine if (admittedly a big "if") the shop knows what they`re doing. This is from first hand experience over many years with many cars, including both my current silver Audis.

I have it done at Stoddard Imported Cars in Willoughby Ohio and if anyone doesn`t believe me (hey, I understand, I`m just an anonymous poster on the internet) you can ask them about the blending. Ask for Jeff Stalker in the body shop or Mike, their head painter. Phone is (800) 342-1414, ext. 5.

I *will* say that they are the only shop I know that does this work though, and plenty of painters at other shops have told me it can`t be done. When I show those painters my Audis they just scratch their heads and predict that the paint will probably have issues down the road (even though some of the repairs are already quite old).

Bill D
07-31-2005, 12:11 PM
I know I don`t speak for just myself when I say I`m dying for Stoddard to open a dealership near me.

JeffM
07-31-2005, 12:15 PM
If you want to take a ride down RT. 2, to Ayer, a friend of mine is a very good body man. Im not sure if he will spot shoot it or not.

He is a fussy perfectionist haha, that might be redundant, i did some work at his house, and i thought like i was under a microscope.

He has some nice old cars that he restores too, OP free, paint is 10 miles deep.

If you want more info shoot me a PM.

Accumulator
07-31-2005, 12:47 PM
I know I don`t speak for just myself when I say I`m dying for Stoddard to open a dealership near me.

Well, they don`t walk on water either, or I wouldn`t be waiting for the next S8 to come out ;) But at least they *try* and they do better than anybody else I`ve dealt with. And so far there haven`t been any nasty changes since the new owners took over (nice guys, one let me beat on his S4 for an afternoon).

Too bad their previous new car prep guy graduated from college and went on to bigger things, the cars in their showroom are pretty awful these days. My wife was asking "could you even fix that?" about the marring on a new Cayene Turbo :(

Around here, just finding a dealer that doesn`t damage the vehicle is a big accomplishment, but you gotta consider that I`m, uhm, pretty particular, even for an Autopian.

They`re gonna try to spot in a tough repair on the XJS one of these days. I`m not expecting a miracle but nobody else wants to deal with me because they know I`ll find fault. We`ll see how it goes...