PDA

View Full Version : Demagnetize

blonzz
07-29-2005, 07:26 PM
I have tested out a few products on several pieces of piano black furniture over the last week or so.

SW, PS, PCM, Zymol Concours, Field Glaze, Adam`s Detail Spray, Brilliant Spray Glaze.

They have turned into dust magnets. Is there a method to demagnetize the surface? Is it the products or the buffing cloth? Washed DF Towels. No bleach or softeners

If it`s the product are there some waxes that attract dust less than another?

Thanks,

John

z400
07-29-2005, 07:51 PM
I would like to know this to. My car (black) has dust on it the next day. even if its in the garage!

chml17l
07-29-2005, 10:59 PM
I doubt if it is the wax or qd`s fault. It`s probably due to buffing the car`s paint with a towel. This creates a static charge that can attract dust. Microfiber towels probably generate more static buildup than cotton due to their high polyester content. Unless you want to run a grounding strap from the car to a water pipe, there isn`t much you can due about dust in the atmosphere.

blonzz
07-29-2005, 11:04 PM
I doubt if it is the wax or qd`s fault. It`s probably due to buffing the car`s paint with a towel. This creates a static charge that can attract dust. Microfiber towels probably generate more static buildup than cotton due to their high polyester content. Unless you want to run a grounding strap from the car to a water pipe, there isn`t much you can due about dust in the atmosphere.

I am dealing with wood and my DF microfiber towels are 100% cotton.

John

chml17l
07-29-2005, 11:16 PM
I am dealing with wood and my DF microfiber towels are 100% cotton.

John

I was referring to z400`s car specific question as this has been observed by several Autopians before. I don`t quite follow why you would test car products on furniture and expect that would have any direct correlation to a car`s paint. :nixweiss

blonzz
07-29-2005, 11:30 PM
I was referring to z400`s car specific question as this has been observed by several Autopians before. I don`t quite follow why you would test car products on furniture and expect that would have any direct correlation to a car`s paint. :nixweiss

Who mentioned I was looking for a direct connection between a furniture finish and a cars finish? I was simply pointing out that even with wood and cotton a static charge was being created.

I wasn`t trying to start an :argue

John

chml17l
07-29-2005, 11:52 PM
John-- I was just stating my opinion and not trying to start anything, either. Sometimes simple declarative statements seem to come off as challenging people`s opinion--it`s the nature of communicating on a forum like this and certainly not my intention.

As you discovered, the dust attraction is probably due to the static charge. Just my 2 cents, but I think testing your products on a car or a panel w/ car paint would give slightly different results compared to the wood furniture. Unless you wish to continue detailing your furniture, I just assumed that the reason behind your testing is aimed at finding a wax that may attract less dust on your car. :bestwish:

the other pc
07-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Warning, long-winded dissertation approaching. Feel free to skip to the end.

It’s not the wood that’s attracting the dust it’s the finish. “Piano Black†finishes are resin films (either synthetic or natural but most new furniture has synthetic and are similar to auto finishes).

Since you live in a desert the low humidity accentuates any tendencies of the materials to build static charges, which in turn attracts dust.

I agree with chml17l that the biggest contribution to your static is likely from your buffing towels. Any time you rub two dissimilar materials together your get static charges.

There are two ways to deal with static build up, prevent it from happening in the first place or neutralize it as/after it builds.

Some materials tend to naturally build more static. Since you’re dealing with existing furniture switching to different finish materials is out. Since rubbing dissimilar materials generates static you can try different towel materials. If for example you had an acrylic finish rubbing it with acrylic fleece should generate almost no static (buy might generate lots of swirls). If your furniture has a polyurethane finish rubbing it with polyester/polyamide microfiber will probably generate less static than cotton.

There aren’t too many options for neutralizing static in insulating materials like a finish. Turning off your AC or moving to Houston are probably bad ideas if you only want avoid some dust. A humidifier is kind of drastic but if you wanted one for comfort reasons anyway it would help.

In the electronics biz they have topical solutions you can apply to surfaces to neutralize static. There are also household sprays for laundry but they may not be compatible with a fine finish.

An oil type “pure polish†may have the same effect. (I haven’t tried it but the physics seems plausible.) Luckily for Autopians, Meguiar’s, who actually started in the furniture polish biz (before there were cars everywhere), still sells furniture polishes today. I’d give that a try.

PC.