PDA

View Full Version : Sonus SFX-3 - Should I use it before I re-wax?

pac1085
07-28-2005, 06:59 PM
I have Sonus SFX 1-3 and did my car with all 3, then topped off with p21s wax.

I need to maintain the finish now, and I`m just wondering, should I get a paintwork cleanser like the sonus one or p21sgepc, or just go over it with sfx-3 again.

Also, SFX-3 says its a `glaze`, is it the same type of `glaze` like klasse sg?

So basically, would doing SFX 1,2,3 then Klasse SG be a waste?

Thanks for any info!

lbls1
07-28-2005, 07:17 PM
No don`t do that. Just the p21s. If you are good at keeping the car clean and swirl free, you could go without re-polishing at the minimum 6-8 months.

JasonD
07-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Klasse SG is completely different than SFX 3. I don`t know why SFX 3 says that it`s a glaze on the bottle because I was under the impression that the SFX polishes didn`t have any fillers. That kind of contradicts itself.

Anyway, Klasse SG is a pure acrylic sealant used for protection only. Sonus SFX, on the other hand, is for polishing only, not protecting. They are opposites in a way.

That being said, you can go straight on top of SFX3 with SG, but it is recommended that you prep the surface with Klasse AIO before you apply Klasse SG.

I find that Sonus SFX3, Sonus Paintwork Cleanser, and GEPC are all very close to each other. If you already have all three products, and want to use P21S, I`d probably just clean up the paint with GEPC since you will be using the wax it was designed to prep for. On the other hand, if you *don`t* have all of these products, I wouldn`t run out and buy them over just using SFX3. Does that make sense?

papi_jay
07-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Sonus Paintwork cleanser is the exact same grade as ALL-IN-ONE & DEEP CRYSTAL PAINT CLEANER #30 , BUT AIO contains chemical cleaners . These are all grade 2

Next step down at grade 3 is SSR1 and menerzna final polish

SFX-2 is the exact same grade as 3m PERFECT-IT III MACHINE GLAZE 05937 & Meguiars SPEED GLAZE #80 which is a grade 4

Grade 10 being roughest - grade 1 being the finest

__________________________________________________ ________________________

SONUS SFX-3 is equivalent as the finest at grade 1 on the chart with 3m PERFECT-IT III FINISHING GLAZE 05941 & IMPERIAL HAND GLAZE 39007 / Meguairs PROFESSIONAL HAND POLISH #81 & MIRROR GLAZE MACHINE GLAZE #3 & SHOW CAR GLAZE #7

So yes it`s a glaze , but only a final finishing glaze to be used after buffing and polishing out . Sonus` Paintwork Cleanser would be an excellent step between sfx-2 and sfx-3 .

Since the equivalent 3m final glazes are used to protect your paint when waxing is not possible and give it shine ( fresh paintjobs until curing is done ) I would say the Sonus is a safe bet as a final polish to be the end of a complete buffing and polishing job ( sfx-1,2 & 3 )

Here is the chart I use for reference (http://www.dano.pocketrubbish.com/detailing/productchart.htm) - save the page to your PC guys

JasonD
07-28-2005, 09:22 PM
That chart is a decent guide, but isn`t very accurate. It`s just to give you an *idea* of how the products compare.

qwik5o
07-28-2005, 09:36 PM
So would one use SFX3 after applying an LSP, or before? I`m glad it was a free sample because I`m starting to see it doesn`t have a place in my small detailing arsenal.

Now, is SFX1 similar to the SSR line?

lbls1
07-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Sonus` Paintwork Cleanser is less abrasive than SFX-3. LSP is just that, the very last product you would put on the paint. The only thing you`d put on an LSP is an additional "coating" of the same lsp or a quick detail spray.

qwik5o
07-28-2005, 09:54 PM
OOOH. :)

I always thought you applied a `glaze` after waxing. Hmm. Learn something new everyday.

pac1085
07-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

That chart that papi linked confuses me, it basically says that sonus paintwork cleanser is more abrasive than SFX-3 ...

I`m not sure exactly how I`m going to polish the car next time, I`m thinking AIO, SG then P21s wax, and forgetting the sonus products all together.

JasonD
07-29-2005, 05:14 PM
You pointed out one flaw on that chart, and there are more. Like I said, it`s a *decent* guide, but definitely no set in stone comparison.

The SFX polishes should be used before your AIO/SG/P21S combo. A finish is only as good as it`s base, and that`s what polishes are for. You can spend a fortune on protectants and "shine enhancers" but if you don`t polish the flaws out, it will never look good.

I suggest polishing your car with whatever SFX polishes it needs, and then do your AIO/SG/P21S combo. You will be very impressed.

JasonD
07-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Here`s a pic I found, and thought you might be interested. This my Expy after being polished with nothing but Sonus Paintwork Cleanser. IMO, it worked like a polish and ended up looking a lot like AIO. It is just a tad more effective at removing defects than AIO is. Just thought you might be interested.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/557104__expedition_7.jpg