PDA

View Full Version : why do people black out the license plate

Pages : [1] 2

viasevenvai
07-28-2005, 12:34 AM
my question is in the title.

I figure u can get enough license numbers on the road, why get a single one online?

i`m 100% sure this is a stupid question, so sry, but just wondering of any reasons.

thanks

imported_COBRyan
07-28-2005, 12:36 AM
Because there are crazy people on the internet and it takes away from peoples` privacy.

imported_truzoom
07-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Just a safeguard. People don`t have to be registered to view these forums or the galleries, so it`s always better safe than sorry. :)

LucentTeg
07-28-2005, 11:01 AM
If you are a theif looking for a certain part or car and you come across it on the net. It makes it that much easier.

imported_animes2k
07-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Another thing you might want to do is secure your driving record and information with your local DMV / MVA / whatever they call it where you live. In Maryland, unless you`ve requested otherwise, anyone can go and get your driving record and personal information... So a license plate could conceivably be used to find out where you live, if I`m not mistaken.

viasevenvai
07-28-2005, 02:37 PM
wow, sorry guys but i thought i`d get something better than that. I mean, the whole point of asking that question was to find out why people would hide a license plate when i can go out in my apartment parking lot and get 100 of them........and there addresses.

I guess it confirms that it`s unecessary.

EBPcivicsi
07-28-2005, 02:42 PM
wow, sorry guys but i thought i`d get something better than that. I mean, the whole point of asking that question was to find out why people would hide a license plate when i can go out in my apartment parking lot and get 100 of them........and there addresses.

OK, how about peace of mind. I do it becasue "why not" it only takes a second. If you don`t want to, don`t.

Why do you need a reason?

imported_Aurora40
07-28-2005, 02:49 PM

Well, but only for cars in your local area, cars you physically see on the road. And you already know where to find those cars since you saw them in your apartment parking lot. Here it`s a gathering of clean, sometimes very expensive, cars from all over the place.

JasonD
07-28-2005, 03:05 PM

Unnecessary to you, and necessary to others. To each his own.

I personally don`t think it`s a *must* but you can`t be too careful. I`ve blocked out my plate on some pics, and not on others.

imported_COBRyan
07-28-2005, 04:34 PM

IMO, you seem exactly like the type of person that I would want to block my plate from online.

imported_COBRyan
07-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Well, but only for cars in your local area, cars you physically see on the road. And you already know where to find those cars since you saw them in your apartment parking lot. Here it`s a gathering of clean, sometimes very expensive, cars from all over the place.

Agreed 100%. Not to mention we post a lot of our customers` cars and they may not personally approve of posting their license plates and vehicles all over the net. It`s a courteous thing to do.

imported_rachelanne16
07-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Seriously no offense, viasevenvai , but should your 7th poast really be spent arguing with people who were gracious enough to answer your 6th post?

kompressornsc
07-28-2005, 06:24 PM
I agree that it just don`t make sense, except if it`s a client car. I mean jeez, I could find a lot more about someone through a hundred different methods.

How `bout this: I challenge anyone to post a story about something bad happening to anyone becasue their license plate was posted on-line. Seriously, just one!

You guys are all paranoid. :hide: . :LOLOL

EBPcivicsi
07-28-2005, 06:57 PM
I agree that it just don`t make sense, except if it`s a client car. I mean jeez, I could find a lot more about someone through a hundred different methods.

How `bout this: I challenge anyone to post a story about something bad happening to anyone becasue their license plate was posted on-line. Seriously, just one!

You guys are all paranoid. :hide: . :LOLOL

Hehe, get on clubsi and ask around....NO ONE posts their plates. Theives in Socal are notorious for using the boards to get the plates from members in the area and stealing the car. At one time the SI was the 4th most stolen car in America, there were only 30,000 units produced for BOTH years.

I have also read of a few similar stories on a mazda forum, the guy was eventually busted trying to sell the parts on Ebay.

White95Max
08-08-2005, 05:40 PM
I used to ask my clients if they wanted their plates blocked out if I posted any pictures on the internet. I was almost always told that they would like the plates blocked out.

So I don`t even ask anymore...I just block them out all the time. Actually, now I just have a piece of paper that I cut to size, and I tape that loosely on the license plates when I take the pictures.