PDA

View Full Version : Help removing scratches on wheels

imported_Kraig
07-27-2005, 10:53 PM
I was driving down Highway 1 and ran over a few places of fresh road. I got quite a bit of black tar and rocks stuck all over my wheels. The drive was worth it but the scratches are a real bummer on my new wheels.

I know I can`t fit my PC into these spots so I am looking for something I can use for hand on this, I don`t mind mail ordering the products (polishes and applicators) if I can save myself a lot of time.

Anyway this is the best shot I got of the damage,

http://homepage.mac.com/kamador/_MG_2853.jpg

You can see some of the junk that is still stuck in there on the left side of the image, I have not clayed them yet as I plan on taking them off for repair.

And to give you an idea of the space I have to work with this is a shot of the wheel, its maybe 3" at most http://homepage.mac.com/kamador/_MG_2862.jpg

In retrospect I suppose I should of tried to use acid to wash off the most of it.

Thanks guys

ROK_DETAILING
07-27-2005, 11:56 PM
ughmm take em off.. spray tarminator for less than a min and wipe/rinse off... i think any good wheel cleaner (poorboys is good) should get them clean.. sorry thats all i can help.. just wash them and get back to us... maybe run around the blocks a couple times to get the rim warm and yeah wash cautiously and be careful of hot brakes..

Richt
07-28-2005, 12:48 AM
After a wash with a good cleaner ( Autoglym Engine and Machine cleaner is good - non acidic) I would go with a good tar remover (I use Autoglym) to remove the bonded on grime and clay as needed. This will remove all the grime.

Small scratches like that on the rims will happen if you use the car. I polished some marks that looked alot like the scratch on yours on my wheels the other day. I always use Auotoglym resin and gloss on them to protect them. To remove the marks I hit the scratches with Autoglym Paint renovator and re polished with them with SRP and re sealed with the EGP.

I use old MF`S and foam applictors on my wheels.

SVR
07-28-2005, 03:37 AM
Wondering if polishing soap would take the scratches out.

If they are really minor, try Clearkote VM or RMG and if polish soap doesn`t do it, move up to a paint polish and as a last resort , try a paint cutting compound like Menzerna FP II, PO85RD or PO85U