PDA

View Full Version : Waxes seperating in heat?

AutoNova
07-27-2005, 04:09 PM
I have noticed that a few of my waxes have been seperating with the heat we are experiencing here. Does this make the wax bad? My #26, #21 and PwC have all appeared to have seperated so I am not sure if I can still use them and will they be effective?

AutoNova
07-28-2005, 07:16 AM
Still listening?

imported_rachelanne16
07-28-2005, 08:12 AM
[tap tap] This thing on? [tap, tap, tap]

I am no chemist, but this is what I would do;

1. Shake product vigorously for a full minute or two.

2. Let product rest for at least one hour.

3. Observe product.

If product has not "re-separated," consider it safe to use.

chml17l
07-28-2005, 08:45 AM
I am a chemist, but that really has nothing to do with my recommendations...more like just using plain old common sense.

First try what hallo gallo recommended.

I realize you have to take you waxes outisde to actually use them, but storing them at room temperature will extend their shelf life. Prolonged exposure to heat will degrade most things to some degree. Will it be a catastrophic failure of the product to work? :nixweiss Probably not, but it could lead to diminished performance of products over time. Considering the cost of many of our detailing chemical "toys", it would be wise to keep them away from extreme light, heat, and humidity.

High heat can evaporate water, some alcohols, and solvents from products. Bottles that are not well sealed could allow oxygen sensitive ingredients to air oxidize. Temperature extremes could also cause products to chemically separate and some may not re-mix completely and still work as effectively or as intended.

I believe a good rule of thumb for detailing chemical storage would be-- if it`s hotter/colder or more humid than your indoor climate you will get a shorter shelf-life out of a product and you may notice a decrease in product performance over time, too.

toyemp
07-28-2005, 08:59 AM
I keep bottles of #26 and #21 in my garage here in CA as well as in my 2nd house in Phoenix, AZ. Both locations see 100+ degree temps all summer long and have not had any issues. #21 is relatively new so it hasn`t seen a full summer yet, but #26 has lasted several summers in both houses.

Are you sure it isn`t just the "normal" settling that each product has?

Accumulator
07-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Yeah, assuming the containers are tightly sealed and haven`t evaporated, I`d just try shaking them up. My previous garage got *hot*, so hot that the overhead door motors wouldn`t work, and stayed that way for most of the summer, but my products were/are still fine. Well, I did have a bottle of #34 that went from milky-pink to clear-orange when I left it there for a few years.

I still have many of the products that were exposed to those conditions, and years later they still work the way they oughta, so I`d be optimistic.

AutoNova
07-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Well the problems I have had are with the squirt bottles I have filled with the product which is where the issue probably lies, they are not sealed like the gallon jugs. It does get to be around 90-100 degrees in the garage consistently.

I did try shaking the bottles well but it didn`t work.