PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl care...need opinions

Pages : [1] 2

drewski59
07-27-2005, 07:28 AM
Well, now that I have my glass routine down, I`m wondering about your guys` opinions on vinyl care.

I`m looking for people`s weekly or biweekly routine with their dash and other interior vinyl and the products you use.

Currently, I`m using Meguiars #40 Rubber and Vinyl Cleaner/Conditioner about every other week with pretty decent results. It doesn`t clean as well as I`d like, however.

UV protection is also important to me, as well as a nice, matte sheen.

Thanks for your help!

:bow

Alfisti
07-27-2005, 07:52 AM
I`ve also recently acquired #40. I quite like its mild cleaning ability...although its a tad too shiny for my liking. I love the connolly leather smell it imparts.

To clean or touchup the interior, I use Megs Interior Detail Spray as needed. Its a great cleaner and leaves a matt finish. The only problem is if you use a shinier dressing - like #40 - it takes the shine off in the areas you`ve cleaned and leaves it patchy. On a low-sheen dressing its good.

My favourite silicone dressing is Mothers Protectant, which looks similar to my favourite acrylic dressing (EDIT - just found out not acrylic) - 303. Both offer UV protection, similar durability, and low-sheen finish.

On my interior, because the vinyl is a dark colour and has patchy deterioration, I prefer Mothers Protectant. It tends to mask the patchiness better giving an even appearance. The 303 tends to highlight the patchiness.

Otherwise 303 is brilliant and tends to be the least dust attracting protectant I`ve used. :up

Richt
07-27-2005, 07:57 AM
I find 303 a little to glossy for me. Interior wise I have been using Poorboys Natural Look as it gives a totally factory look and some UV protection and qding with 1Z CP or the new meguiars interior QD as needed.

Setec Astronomy
07-27-2005, 08:06 AM
As mentioned above, #40 can be a little shiny, also, the "new car smell" I think is a little much for using every week. I have used the new Meg`s Quick Interior Detailer (QID?) a couple of times, and think it might be just right for a weekly wipedown...although honestly I don`t have an interior "routine" like that. According to posts on MOL, QID has minimal UV protection, so a periodic dressing with something heavier seems to be in order.

BillyBarou
07-27-2005, 08:38 AM
I have gotten fond of the Wolfgang Vinyl & Rubber protectant cleaner. Seems to clean well and leave a nice finish. I use a PakShak ultrafine for in-between dustings. I try to apply 303 every 6 months for added UV security.

I find that keeping the interior clean on a regular basis makes it really easy to clean and little dust has a chance to accumulate.

I use Zaino Z-9 and Z-10 every 2 months on the leather seats.

I use 303 on the door seals and rubber trim except for the trim around the glass which I use Poorboys Trim Restorer on.

imported_Blake
07-27-2005, 08:47 AM
I like # 40 as well as 303 and some of the other products mentioned above. I would tend to think that every two weeks is much too frequent. I tend to do interior leather about every 3 months and the vinyl trim every two months. Have done it for years.

A vigorous wipe with a mf towel usually gets rid of any patchiness.

stevet
07-27-2005, 08:53 AM
My favourite silicone dressing is Mothers Protectant, which looks similar to my favourite acrylic dressing - 303. Both offer UV protection, similar durability, and low-sheen finish.

Are these not both water based PDMS dressings? I never heard of 303 being an acrylic dressing.

These two are also my favorites.

stevet
07-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Just to update. I called 303 and talked to Roger who is a teck guy there and he assured me 303 does not contain acrylic. He obviously wouldn`t give me the formula but he said 303 does not contain acrylic and it`s a water based dressing. We talked for about 15 min. Friendly and knowledgeable about silicones and all the misinformation that surrounds it.

Give him a call at 1-800-223-4303 and ask for Roger.

imported_themightytimmah
07-27-2005, 09:37 AM
I`m a big fan of Natural Look. Meg`s #40 is a top-notch engine dressing, but it`s a tad too shiny for interior work. 303 even is too shiny for me, I like a matte look. When my gallon of NL runs out, I might try Chemical Guys` All Guard X, as it`s supposed to deliver similar results to NL, at half the price.

Wasatch
07-27-2005, 09:44 AM
I`m a big fan of Natural Look. Meg`s #40 is a top-notch engine dressing, but it`s a tad too shiny for interior work. 303 even is too shiny for me, I like a matte look. When my gallon of NL runs out, I might try Chemical Guys` All Guard X, as it`s supposed to deliver similar results to NL, at half the price.

Have been using NL for over a year now, really like it. CGs website sez you can spray it (that`s what I`m looking for), this stuff is thick. Have samples of Original and VRT, but have not tried them yet. Could dilute it I guess.

imported_Sullybob
07-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Meg`s #40 is what I really like. I picked up some of the Meg`s interior QD. I didn`t really care for it but then I like my vinyl to be shiney :D If the vinyl is really dirty I will clean with Woolite first then hit it with #40. Some people don`t like the shine it leaves behind, try wiping the #40 with a MF when it dries. It will greatly reduce the shine.

Wasatch
07-27-2005, 12:43 PM
#40 is some nice stuff, it`s the scent I don`t care for, especially for interiors. It`s great on tires and outside trim.

Glossmaster
07-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Chemical Guy`s Extreme V.R.T. Dressing! My new found go to dressing.

AutoNova
07-27-2005, 04:19 PM
What do you all find that works well and lays evenly in the heat? I used Meg`s NXT protectant and it sweats. I used PB NL and it seems to streak and doesn`t lay well on plastic componets. Right now I am using Stoner`s Trim Shine and it works pretty well. I was a big fan of #40 but found that it would stain windows and wood trim. 303 is fine but a little too expensive to use in high volume.

Rob Tomlin
07-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Another Megs #40 and 303 user here, with a slight preference for the latter.

The sheen is just right for me.