PDA

View Full Version : Opt Compound

holland_patrick
07-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Well I was able to talk David out of a sample and let me tell you this stuff is great I knew i was pushing the polish to the limit and now I can go one step farther. I recieved 8oz and have been spot tring it on all sorts of car/trucks.

starting

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/IMG_2825.jpg

After one pass with Opt C

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/IMG_2826.jpg

It still needed one more pass I felt

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/IMG_2827.jpg

Then one pass with Opt polish

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/IMG_2828.jpg

All in all I did like it although I belive David missed the mark slightly he told me it should been near the abrasiveness of Powergloss. Now i didn`t use a wool pad so maybe that is where I went wrong so when I get my new pads I`ll try it again and post an update. the pictures above are with a rotary with EDGE 2000 pads both passes Yellow cutting and Opt Polish got a Blue Polishing pad

Cliff notes: Opt comp. is Great but I feel it should have a little more cut.

Now you can give your car the BIG O twice in one day. :buffing:

Ron Harris
07-26-2005, 08:00 PM
bajapat

Today I wet sanded a repaint from a body shop that I do work for. It was a black 3 series repainted with PPG. I thought I would test a couple of different pads and the OPT compound. I used the OPT black lambs wool or my first door. This made short work on the 3000 grit sanding marks. In the daylight you could see the swirls not to heavy. Then I polished a rear door with a yellow lake country foam pad this did take longer I was feeling that maybe it needed to be a little more aggressive but I worked it a little slower like the polish and it looked great. Almost no visible swirls. I could really highlight them as you did with my Halogen light. I was able to remove the swirls from both panels with the OPT polish and a white finishing pad from OPT. Compared to other compounds I love this stuff. I use less, I have cut my dusting down 90% and I don’t get a lot of build up in the edges of the doors. Oh and it cleans up very easily. I sure would like to here how it works with a PC. I don`t use one just a rotary and the Cyclo. But am curious.

MorBid
07-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Now you two have got me choppin at the bit (my sample of the Opt Compund came Monday with some other stuff I ordered).

I only got a sample as I have two (one un-opened) 32 oz bottles of Hi-Temps HCL but did want to see how this stuff is. I really liked the polish.

Ron Harris
07-27-2005, 04:26 AM
I have deleted one of at least one of my steps since the introduction of the OPT polish and now the compound. I used to have to rewash a vehicle after the compound and polishing steps. This was to remove the dusting and the product glued to parts of the paint and stuck in the cracks. The OPT products clean up so easy.

If you used the Tire shine in the past and didn`t like it. You should give it another chance. David has reworked it. Still a water base product but it almost acts like a solvent the way it spreads on the tire. If you spray it on you get the Donut look. If you sponge it on you have a nice satin look. With the new product you get the same results with less product then before.

holland_patrick
07-27-2005, 06:05 AM
Ron i know what you mean about working it slow if you ever have seen sean work he is the master of slow with the rotary. I`m getting as good as he is going slow. I did work it nice and slow and really pushed it to make sure i worked it in. I think it a great product but it`s not the cutting I thought it would be. A step between powerglss and IP I think

klnyc
07-27-2005, 06:15 AM
Does this new Opt Cmpd dust more than SSR2.5 /M IP? My problem are always leave too much dried dust on the crack and need to rewash the car again before sealant/lsp.

SpoiledMan
07-27-2005, 06:45 AM
I have deleted one of at least one of my stepa since the introduction of the OPT polish and now the compound. I used to have to rewash a vehicle after the compound and polishing steps. this was to remove the dusting and the product glued to parts of the paint and stuck in the cracks. These products clean up so easy.

Answered right here....