PDA

View Full Version : 3m Pi-III Silicone free , but NOT Machine Glaze ?

papi_jay
07-26-2005, 01:03 PM
I used 3m Perfect-IT III 05933 to remove wetsanding from acrylic clear . It specifically states " silicone free " body shop safe etc ..

3m makes their Machine Glaze Imperial or PI-III to remove their rubbing compounds holograms and swirls , BUT the PI-III show car Machine Glaze # 39012 does not state silicone free on the label .

The finishing glaze also states silicone free .

Did I miss something ?

Why would the 1st and last step in buffing out a finish be silicone free , but not the 2nd ?

I kind of thought Petroleum Distillates ( light , Acid treated ) and Hydrotreated Light Petro Distillates would be considered in the same class as silicone and not fresh paint safe ?

These components are listed in the MSDS for the machine glaze

It also has a light kerosone odor ?

Should I search for an alternative to use for buffing out compounding swirls and holograming that would be safer for a fresh respray job ?

Any recommendations that would be safer with equal results ?

Thank you

papi_jay
07-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Anyone ? ?

JeffM
07-27-2005, 02:46 AM
I think 3m is pretty good about answering e mails.

I have no idea though.

papi_jay
07-27-2005, 03:36 AM
it contains glycerin too . I emailed 3m though few days ago , no response yet .

Thanks JBM

tinman
07-27-2005, 04:07 AM
I think they have a body shop safe machine glaze version. Try the 3M Imperial Machine Glaze #05991.

stevet
07-27-2005, 05:50 AM
The entire 3M Perfect It III line is body shop safe and silicone free. The 39012 Machine glaze is the 16 Oz version of 05937 Machine Glaze. The Perfect It III line has been discontinued and replaced by Perfect It 3000 and from what I understand the Perfect It 3000 is not silicone free.

papi_jay
07-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Illusion , why does the Finnese-It II machine glaze specifically state silicone free , but not the Perfect-IT III machine glaze ?

stevet
07-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Illusion , why does the Finnese-It II machine glaze specifically state silicone free , but not the Perfect-IT III machine glaze ?

I don`t know 3M`s reasoning for that but I was told by 3M customer service that the Perfect It III line is safe for body shops and fresh paint and filler free.

Give them a call they can answer all the questions you have.

Bill D
07-27-2005, 09:25 AM
It`s not clear to me if you are detailing in an body shop environment, if you are not, then there is no need to fear silicone in compounding and polishing products. If your concern is them acting as fillers, all you need to do to be sure nothing has been filled, is use the IPA:water wipe down between polishing steps. I do this regardless of what polishes I use, mostly for the greater ease of removing the left over residue. I`ve found no filling with the PI III twins. The results I saw were what I got.

papi_jay
07-27-2005, 09:31 AM
I am doing touch up work blending with custom mixed spray to quite a few LONG scratches on the body .

I`m using an edge blender to fade out the tape lines if any / overspray , but will wetsand further to blend the clear into the oem finish after a few days , then using 3m pi3 rc to rub out the wetsanding marks with a wool pad .

I`m not a pro , but it was always my understanding that silicone can break down and/or do other harm to fresh paint , and I am especially worried since it will not be cured under uv lamps , only by the sub over about a week before I want to glaze .

Accumulator
07-27-2005, 09:52 AM
It was always my understanding (based on conversations with painters) that the silicones were OK for the paint, they just don`t want them floating around bodyshops because of the possibility of fisheyes/etc. I`ve never heard of any problems with curing/etc. from using silicone-containing products, and the new PI-3000 products contain silicones.

After the "deer incident" repairs, I did some work on the S8`s still-uncured fresh paint. Used PI-III RC *and* MG. No problems at all from having used the PI-III MG, the paint still cured just fine.