PDA

View Full Version : Paint Prep?

WickedLTZ
07-26-2005, 07:02 AM
Hey all,

I was wondering about paint prep. I noticed that a lot of the time people don`t use a paint cleaner as one of their steps, seems like they go from claying/washing again straight into polishing. The results obviously prove this works just fine, but would using a paint cleaner after the claying provide paint that is better prepped? Even if the paint doesn`t look like it needs it? I would just assume that cleaning the paint after claying would ensure that everything is removed from the surface and then polishing can be done.

NEW AGAIN
07-26-2005, 07:15 AM
Your statement is true to the fact and this method is practice only on FULL details only in my service but TIME is also a key factor. But great point IMO

Bill D
07-26-2005, 07:18 AM
Some popular pre polishing products include the 50:50 isopropyl alcohol:water mix and paint prep solvents such as Prepsol. I currently use Valugard New Car Prep to remove the existing Last Step Products and the IPA mix in between polishing steps to check my progress and in a final wipe down to inspect for any remaining defects before reapplication of the LSPs.

Perm
07-26-2005, 07:21 AM
Are we not talking about products like AIO and PB P21S paint cleaner here ?

Or have i missed the point ?

Perm

kiaser
07-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Paint cleaners should be used AFTER polishes that contain no oils/fillers (compounds) and BEFORE polishes with oils/fillers (swirl removers/hiders, glazes).

Use paint cleaners like a compound, it can really setup a finish for glazing very well.

WickedLTZ
07-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Well in this case then I think I was mistaken. I have Meg`s Medallion Paint Cleaner and I was under the impression that you always did the paint cleaner before you polished since it would seem like you are getting the surface with the clay, then deeper with the paint cleaner, and then the deepest with the polish. It was my understanding that you sort of "build up" to it.

I have 1Z PP and the 1Z Pro-Line MP... neither one of these have fillers right?

imported_themightytimmah
07-26-2005, 06:35 PM
I feel its redundant, but your mileage might vary. IMHO, a rotary/compound is going to take off anything that a paint cleaner would be needed for in a fraction of a second. I only use paint cleaners on my own cars between waxings, as they are the only ones I know that don`t need a SMR regularly.

kiaser
07-26-2005, 09:17 PM
themightytimah has a point, if you end up using compounds to cut down the clear coat, you`ll get nearly anything a paint cleaner would fix (what about oxidation?). Personally, I use paint cleaner after my cutting compounds just to clean off any leftover residue and give a clean slate for my fillers and oils to settle on. It`s a little anal, but it makes me feel better :)

However, if you won`t be using any cutting compounds (only glazes and mild abrasive polishes), a paint cleaner will be good to apply beforehand to set the surface up.

As I understand it, it goes like this:

Wash

Clay

Cutting Compounds

Paint Cleaner

Mild Abrasive Polishes (swirl removers/fillers)

Glazes (oils and fillers only, things like #7)

Sealant

Waxes

Clay is going to remove elements that cannot be dislodged by washing (or semi-bonded paint contaminants).

Cutting compounds are gonna cut down the clear coat to even it out with any scratches/swirls that existed. It will also completely remove contaminents bonded to the clear coat surface.

Paint cleaner is gonna deep clean the clear coat, like micro-washing. If your paint is in very good condition you could skip cutting and just use a paint cleaner.

Mild abrasive polishes are going to help reduce the APPEARANCE of any surface defects that may still be visible (scratches or swirls that cutting could not completely remove). It will "cut" a little bit but it`s mostly for rounding out swirls edges and filling in gaps with fillers. These also usually contain glazing properties to bring back shine.

Glazes (pure polishes?) are going to do nothing to correct defects, but just add luster and shine through the use of oils.

Sealants are used to lock-in your now perfect finish that the previous steps should have resulted in. There are many kinds of sealants but some are very durable and can help keep your finish very well protected and not evaporate quickly like waxes do. Many sealants also add shine. Remember if you used glazes with oils and fillers that you need to use a sealant that can bond to that type of oily surface. Some sealants cannot bond to anything but a clean surface.

Waxes are also a type of sealant but they tend to evaporate quickly. There are tons of waxes that do very different things. but if you find the right one or combination of waxes to use with your car color then you can add so much more depth and wetness to the look even on top of what your glazes/sealants provided. I use pinnacle souveran paste and pinnacle carnuba quick shine wax one after the other on my black car, and it`s amazing!