PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Chiropractors?

wifehatescar
01-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Well, this past weekend I messed up my lower back for the 5th time in the past couple years(:brick), this time I decided to see a chiropractor...It seems to be working ok so far...anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? I`m paying out of pocket right now so I`m hoping to be getting my money`s worth. I`m doing this right now at least instead of physical therapy (which is 100% muscle stretching/strength related)

SpoiledMan
01-06-2005, 12:10 AM
My best friend is a Chiropractor and he`s an honest guy. I get my adjustments for free. He makes a very nice living doing what he does and most of his clients are repeat customers.

Thomas Dekany
01-06-2005, 12:47 AM
They are good people. I`ve been seeing them for nearly 20 years on & off.

groebuck
01-06-2005, 01:05 AM
dated a few :) - give great massages :lol

TDMAN
01-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Like anything else: some are good, some suck. If you are asking if they work, yes, they do. But my experience is, that it is a quick fix for an ongoing problem. You would be much better off finding a good Pilates instructor and strengthing your core muscles. Also, if you are overweight, I would suggest losing weight to take the strain off of your core muscles. I have vast experience with this, so if you need more info, send me a PM.

Thomas Dekany
01-06-2005, 04:55 PM
But my experience is, that it is a quick fix for an ongoing problem.

Without going into details, your statement is simply not true.

On another note, wifehatescar, you should look for a network chiropractor. Their method is superior to the conventional one.

mahd
01-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Chiropractic works. Am I biased because I am a chiropractor, maybe. Like any profession, some are better then others. So if you don`t get the results you are looking for don`t blame the profession, look for another chiropractor. Regarding pilates, it is another tool to help with managing the problem, not unlike proper nutrition, rest and posture. There are many different "techniques" in chiropractic, one, "Network", not necessarily better than the other. Chiropractic most deffinately is not a quick fix, but the simple facts are that approximately 80% of people who have experienced a back problem will have a reoccurence of it. If you would like more information send me a PM.

wifehatescar
01-06-2005, 09:33 PM
The main thing I`m struggling with is what is a better use of my time right now, chiropractors or PT? The chiropractor says he can help with 70% of the problems. The PT lady thinks it`s all muscle related and thinks that might work better.:dunno BTW, I`m not too overweight (I don`t think) 200lb 5`10".

My back has been crooked all week around the L5---not good. Yes, it IS hard to walk with shooting pain and your upper body 20 degrees off kilter :angry. I`m only 27, I feel like I`m 70, it sucks! It started as an old gym lifting injury but has now progressed to happening even if I stand up the wrong way. It`s happened about 5 times in the past 7 years with ever increasing frequency. Right now my plan is to go to the chiropractor for the next 2 weeks (total of 6 adjustments) and then go to PT for a month, I`m hoping this is a good compromise.

My back needs to get un-crooked right now first, but I`m very interested in prevention as well. Is seeing the chiropractor once a month indefinately useful? I`m very confused as to what combination of PT, chiropractic care and other stuff is best for me........Open to suggestions.

PS - What is a "network" technique?

Antonio Waxer
01-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Like anything else: some are good, some suck. If you are asking if they work, yes, they do. But my experience is, that it is a quick fix for an ongoing problem. You would be much better off finding a good Pilates instructor and strengthing your core muscles. Also, if you are overweight, I would suggest losing weight to take the strain off of your core muscles. I have vast experience with this, so if you need more info, send me a PM.

I have gone to both and I believe it is only a quick fix, but a good one if it can get you in better condition to take pt...if you are in too much pain to strengthen your core muscles, chiropractic help can relax you and ease tension.
I would not look at it as a long term solution (sorry chiropractors) as it is not fixing the problem.

wifehatescar
01-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the advice, right now I`m leaning to back crackin`s [:D] short term, PT and stretching/strengthening long term.

zesty-man
01-07-2005, 01:34 AM
im sure that a majority of chiropractors know what theyre doing, but heres a pretty freaky story that happened to my mom`s bosses` wife donna. basically they were at some kinda chiropractor fair that was going on in hawaii and this guy offered to do something to donna, and she kept refusing but he kept asking and finally she gave in. anyways, the guy did it and she said that she felt that she was in pain. the pain didnt go away, and shes been haunted by the pain for 3 years now. shes gone through numerous doctors and medicines but nothing seems to take the pain in her back away. i think she quit her job and stays at home, and tries to make good of what she can do with her pain. its pretty freaky, and for that reason, i think i would probably do a lot of background info on a chiropractor and ask lots of questions. unfortunately for donna, because this was a fair, the guy went back to the mainland before they could go back and sue him, and they`ve never seen him again. theres nothing that they could have done. i say just do you homework and you`ll be fine, but do it throughly!

laefd
01-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Depends. Find someone that you are "comfortable" with and have confidence in that will treat you "individually" rather than put you on "a course" of treatments. I have a GREAT Chiropractor but find that stretching, on a regular and daily routine, is my best prevention. Also may want to consider some exercising and strengthening of those `ol abdominals while you`re at it.

Good luck! When the back is out of whack, so is everything else.

mtwedt
01-07-2005, 02:27 PM
I have patients and colleagues who have found chiropractic very useful in helping to manage the acute phase of back injury. It can be used in conjuction with PT ( and I would recommend continuing with is for long term strenghtening and learning of PROPER BODY MECHANICS to prevent reoccurance of injury at that site) and some have added some accupunture for more immediate relief that allows them to participate in an exercise program. Several of my colleagues have used this multi- discipline approach, in conjunction with an anti-inflammatory med ( such as 800mg Ibuprofen three time a day during the acute phase). It takes TIME...ie several weeks before things settle down and the best way to acheive this is to do minimal additional physical activity. This is tough because many jobs require lifting of some type and it is spendy to stay home for two or three weeks with no pay. Was this an on the job injury where you could apply for workman`s comp or are you privately employed? Have you had an MRI of the back to evaluate for disc bulging/rupture? I would avoid surgical options if AT ALL POSSIBLE. I have seen too many patients who have undergone back surgery and recieved little or no benefit. Any competent orthopod will tell you that it can be difficult to acheive complete relief except in very circumscribed situations and they all recommend the above multi-discipline appproach if they are any good. There are probably other options that can be added to a thoughtful recovery and management program that I am not aware of. Back injuries are the bane of critical care nursing where we have to lift peo[le who are literally dead weight. Abdominal muscle strengthening, proper posture and body mechanics are a MUST in my job if you don`t want to hurt you back. Narcotic pain meds can be used carefully in the acute phase to allow sleep and initial pain control, but CAREFULLY is the watch word here. Some other things to consider is the bed you sleep on...is it firm enough....do you need a new mattress...the addition of a piece of plywood between the mattress and boxspring? Learning accupressure techniques may be helpful to reduce the tightness in the acute phase as well. Good luck

wifehatescar
01-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Luckily, I have a desk job so no lifting is involved. It`s hard enough to drive a car though (stick shift)
My main focus this week and next is to "un-crooked" my back. Problem is, I`m not sure what combination of activities is best for that, and no-one can promise results either.