PDA

View Full Version : How does Cleaner Wax work?

wong
07-26-2005, 05:59 AM
How does cleaner wax remove old wax?

My guess is using chemical to dissolve it.

But then, it is merely dissolving old wax with the new apply. It will still be on the car with the new wax except it is now mixed with new wax.

Does this mean wax cleaner is a better option to remove old wax?

Any feedback?

EdLancer
07-26-2005, 11:11 AM
How does cleaner wax remove old wax?

My guess is using chemical to dissolve it.

But then, it is merely dissolving old wax with the new apply. It will still be on the car with the new wax except it is now mixed with new wax.

Does this mean wax cleaner is a better option to remove old wax?

Any feedback?

Cleaner waxes are made as a one step product for the public. Some cleaner waxes contain abrasives and some chemical cleaners. Most Autopians here do not use them or if they do they already have done a proper surface prep like the NXT Tech wax.

tom p.
07-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Cleaner/Wax is a bit of an oxymoron as cleaning and waxing are opposing functions.

Let`s face it, the average guy that cleans and washes his car 1X per year is going to reach for such a product. IMO, most of them tend to be short-lived. They do have their place and work well if you have to perform a little touch up to an affected area (gas spill, tar, bugs, etc.).

They are not a substitute for a thorough cleaning/polishing/waxing process.

Tasty
07-26-2005, 01:08 PM
They aren`t a substitute, but there are some good ones out there. The Meguiar`s stuff beads water like a mofo, and I have detailed some cars where that product was used exclusively by the owner about every 6 mos., and they paint was in great condition. I attribute some of that to the cleaner/wax. Scottwax even responded one time that he thought the Megs cleaner/wax to be an excellent product.

Setec Astronomy
07-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Yeah, that Meg`s cleaner wax in the maroon bottle is an old standby of mine (although recently changed to a higher beading formulation). It`s a good product for a quick one-step, and I think it`s great for a non-Autopian as Tasty said, if they are going to not do much to the car, it`s hard for them to go wrong with a product like that. For someone who would never do a multistep process, using a cleaner wax is SO much better than doing nothing or just washing. Biggest problem is staining trim with it.

Tasty
07-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Biggest problem is staining trim with it.

True, and those cars I detailed had stained trim galore.

stevet
07-26-2005, 01:45 PM
I use cleaner waxes for door jams,under hood, and windows. My favorite is Mothers Cleaner wax. This is a very underrated product. Inexpensive, easy to get, on off with no effort and I haven`t experienced any staining of the trim. Works great as a one step on windows after a good claying.

It`s funny cleaner waxes get a bad rap but three of the most popular products on Autopia are in fact cleaner waxes, AIO,VM, PWC. All of these are one step products although they are used mainly as pre wax cleaners. So why not use a cleaner wax?

I put Mothers Cleaner Wax head to head against AIO, VM, GEPC, and Sonus Paint Work Cleanser on the hood of my car. I found myself wondering why I purchased the other products on line after seeing the results. There was no difference in appearance. Mothers was super easy to use and cleaned as well as AIO VM, SPWC and better than GEPC. It left a slick finish and was ready to top if you wanted to.

wong
07-26-2005, 02:06 PM
All

My point is how does cleaner-wax remove old wax?

To me it is just dissolving old wax and mix with new wax, and again put on the paint again.

How can this be good?

I thought it would better to use wax-cleaner to completely remove old wax and then apply wax rather than apply cleaner-wax.

Setec Astronomy
07-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Wong, I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of cleaner wax, it`s not to take off old wax, it`s to take off dirt, oxidation, tar, industrial fallout, etc. Any wax that is on your paint is so impossibly thin that to worry about it being dissolved and redeposited on the paint...is not worth your worry. As has been stated, the ideal way is to do the cleaning separately from waxing, however to address your postulate, using a cleaner wax is acceptable, but not optimal.

wong
07-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Setec

Thanks for your explanation. I admire your english.

Tasty
07-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Yeah, the vocabulary in that post was awesome. Anyway, the mother`s cleaner wax post is very interesting.