PDA

View Full Version : A quick and easy solution for REALLY dirty chrome

Ben Z.
07-25-2005, 04:28 PM
My dad was restoring a harley that had been in a fire. He thought the chrome rims were toast since they were all black and chrome polish was taking forever and not getting them perfect. As a last resort we tried some $0.97 oven cleaner from walmart. We let it sit for about 20-30 minutes then rinsed while using a mild scrubbing pad (not scotch brite, much softer). I`d say about 95% of the black and discoloration came off in about 30 seconds of rinsing. Chrome looked great.

Beware, do not get this stuff on bare aluminum! We accidentally got some on a piece he was polishing and it ate some pretty deep pits in it. The chrome wheel was not damaged in the least.

Hope somebody finds this useful.

scottabir
07-25-2005, 04:37 PM
sounds acidic to me.

Ben Z.
07-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Nope, water is way (many orders of magnitude) more acidic. Active ingredient is NaOH.

Hemi57
07-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Well those Mythbuster guys reckon cola soda does a great job on chrome. I will be trying that on my project Ute (Pick-up) next weekend. :)

imported_themightytimmah
07-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Good to know, nothing like a harsh cleaner on bad metal. You should have seen what Alumabrite did on my friend`s old motorcycle :). We conservatively estimated 3 hours in savings over Mother`s polish and a terry rag.