PDA

View Full Version : Finally got around to detailing the Accord

NYC2SoCal
07-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Well, I finally got around to detailing the Accord. My apologies in advance, but alas, I did not take before or after pictures.. :(

A little history, the 97 Accord has never been hand washed (eg washed by me, well, maybe once or twice in the last 8 years), it`s been through every conceiveable type of car wash available. It`s been driven from NYC to Southern California.

Sprayed wheels/tires down with EO A2Z, and scrubbed with a brush, hosed off.. EO A2Z is great stuff!! I knew it was great when the white foam turned brown on the wheels and black on the wheels almost immediately!! :)

Washed with Megs Gold Class, dryed with Megs Water Magnet WW

Cleaned glass with NXT Glass Cleaner

Clayed entire car - Wow!! To be honest, I didn`t know paint could feel this way!! Reading about feeling like glass or silk is one thing, actually claying and feeling is purely another!! My new Sienna sure doesn`t feel this soft. Since this is the first time I clayed, it took awhile, maybe 4-5 hours? But I think it was well worth it! Man, I was amped on that clay!! I used the Mother`s Clay bar and their lub and had no problems with it. I split the bar in half at the get go.. Did half the car, and oops, dropped it on the floor... Heeding all the warnings, I took out the other half and used that. Quick question, on the clay that fell on the floor, is it safe to use on the wheels? Or should I just chuck it in the trash?

Pulled out the PC 7336, slapped on a green pad with PB SSR1. Worked half the trunk @5.. The cobwebs/swirls remained.. Went to the orange pad with PB SSR2.5, worked on the same half also @5, but the cobwebs/swirls still remain!! I did have some weird decoloration on my hood that it did take out (almost looked like something fell on the hood and stuck for a while). I`m just wondering if I should go to orange pad with SSR3.. I only had one orange pad, so I guess it has to wait..

Put the blue pad on, and applied AIO. I put the AIO in a little 2oz squeeze bottle, and used maybe 1oz. Thin layer, and wipe off with mf towel.

By hand on a foam pad, applied SG via a 2oz squirt bottle. A thin layer, and buffed out after 2 hours.

Oh, and then I finished the tires with Megs Endurance x2.

All in all, I`m very happy with the "detail". I am most impressed with the clay. I think I need to work on my PC skills (because of the remaining swirls). To be honest, I think it did reduce the number of swirls, maybe I just need to work it longer? Also do you folks have any tips on how to keep the PC "level" with the surface? I noticed that when I used it, occassionally, it would angle off. Oh, and one more question, do you find the PC kinda loud? I eventually had to put on ear muffs because of the noise.

Thanks!

NYC2SoCal
07-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Oh, and the wife was amazed at how the car looked and felt.. She then said, the engine was still dirty!! I guess my next few days will be spent reading up on engine detailing!