PDA

View Full Version : Respect your chemicals

imported_turbomangt
07-25-2005, 05:04 AM
The other day I was using an alkaline cleaner and forgot I had a wound on my hand. PLus I didn`t have on my gloves at the time. Got some of the cleaner on the wound and man did it sting. I learned my lesson from that experience, no matter how busy I am, respect your chemicals and take the precautions nessessary. Gary

imported_themightytimmah
07-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Lord knows I`ve done that before :rolleyes:. With Spray and Rinse. :sosad. At least it wasn`t alumabrite.

brwill2005
07-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Yeah, nothing like Top of the Line`s wheel wash with a ripped cuticle. I never wear gloves and sometimes wonder if I should be. I just do not like the feeling of gloves on my hands.

stevet
07-25-2005, 12:32 PM
I was using Casrtol Super Clean to clean some tuff spots. I was rubbing the area with a MF towel and my finger. Well the solution got under my nail and turned it yellow and the tip of my finger was numb for a few days. :soscared: I will be wearing gloves next time.

rollman
07-25-2005, 12:42 PM
At least it wasn`t alumabrite.

Yeah that`s one thing you don`t wanna mess with without protection.

Super
07-25-2005, 01:31 PM
well any body that pro cleans should know about chemicals of at lest something about chemicals

stilez
07-25-2005, 01:45 PM
I always wear gloves when using APC`s and wheel cleaners. Definately safer than sorry.

rollman
07-25-2005, 03:27 PM
well any body that pro cleans should know about chemicals of at lest something about chemicals

I agree 100% with that . I would bet there`s a large number of Pro`s ( or self claimed Pro`s ) that have know idea what some of the chemicals they use can do to your body.

opass
07-25-2005, 04:59 PM
The mist from the TOL wheel cleaner blow back to my eye glasses by the wind. Well it damaged the anti-reflection coating. Lesson learned.

DaGonz
07-25-2005, 05:30 PM
In addition to gloves.. how about eye protection and respiratory protection in the form of dust masks when dealing with the "nasty stuff"?

SVR
07-27-2005, 03:35 AM
That`s why I`ve banned all of them. Air pollution, dangerous to humans and environment

If it isn`t VOC regulation exempt or 100% compliant, I won`t get them and they must be free from alkalines, acids, ammonia, alcohol, sodiums, lye, phosphate`s and other caustic chemicals

These types of chemicals are just too damn nasty.

PhilS
07-27-2005, 04:29 AM
It would be wise to obtain the MSDS for any product that is used. Even though I only do this as a hobby, I always wear latex gloves when handling any of the chemicals used for detailing. I used to work in the printing industry where methods such as skin, eye and respiratory protection were important to maintain long term health.

As a slight aside, I`ve already seen more than one mention of MEK on this forum. As well as being widely used in the printing industry, it`s also widely used as a degreasant. It is a truly vile substance that will cause damage to most internal organs of the body. It can be absorbed through the skin and latex gloves provide only a few minutes of protection.

imported_themightytimmah
07-27-2005, 09:53 AM
That`s why I`ve banned all of them. Air pollution, dangerous to humans and environment

If it isn`t VOC regulation exempt or 100% compliant, I won`t get them and they must be free from alkalines, acids, ammonia, alcohol, sodiums, lye, phosphate`s and other caustic chemicals

These types of chemicals are just too damn nasty.

What kind of chemicals do you use for wheel cleaners, engine degreasing, etc? It seems to me as if these tasks are nearly impossible without "the good stuff", but I`d like to hear your angle on it. Personally, I`d like to replace my tire cleaner with something that doesn`t burn when I breathe in a big cloud of it, but I haven`t found anything else that works well.

imported_animes2k
07-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Definitely gloves with the hard stuff - I`ve started to use gloves even with the gentle stuff. And for anything terribly caustic, I invested in a 3M respirator from the local paint shop. I was using some heavy-duty 3M adhesive remover to strip down my paint and while that stuff usually makes me light-headed with but a whiff, using the respirator and wiping down THE WHOLE CAR, I didn`t even smell it. Good stuff.

Safety glasses or goggles from a woodworking shop are also a good idea.

SVR
07-28-2005, 03:09 AM
What kind of chemicals do you use for wheel cleaners, engine degreasing, etc? It seems to me as if these tasks are nearly impossible without "the good stuff", but I`d like to hear your angle on it. Personally, I`d like to replace my tire cleaner with something that doesn`t burn when I breathe in a big cloud of it, but I haven`t found anything else that works well.

On my car, I don`t use wheel cleaners as it would strip the three coats of wheel sealant and UPP on my mags

On other cars, I use a shampoo mainly but sometimes I use Detailers Pride Wheel cleaner gel

I`m not sure if it`s alkaline but it passed the hand skin test and doesn`t damage paintwork so that`s ok.

If it is, then I won`t buy it again.

Engine degreasing - LANOTEC CITRA FORCE, a delimolene based cleaner

It`s really strong stuff but is totally safe for paint, skin, environment etc

Use the high pressure gun with it - 1000-2000 psi.

Don`t use traditional tire cleaners, I use a ph 7 shampoo and if the tire is oxidised or really dirty, I get out the clearkote vanilla moose and AUTOGLYM bodyshop 01B plastic, vinyl & rubber cleaner. It looks like strawberry jam.

That restores the tires to like new. You can also use lanolin to give a brand new satin style finish to tires

Don`t care if my work is harder, so far it hasn`t been and I simply won`t use any acid, alkaline and heavy caustic based chemicals

Heck I don`t even have any meguiars products in my detail garage besides the old #66 detailer.

The above products are bad for the environment (air pollution and if the wash water goes down the sewers, could ), damages skin and ain`t good for lungs

At work I have replaced all these products with a foaming type non alkaline cleaner that smells like peppermint. It`s not an autopian quality product as they won`t pay for these things but is a nice compromise.