PDA

View Full Version : Rec`s for LSP for blue mettalic paint?

Shane
07-24-2005, 08:22 PM
I just spent two days playing with my new PC 7424, and Wolfgang products that I ordered from Autogeek.net. As a former Zaino zombie, I have to admit that the WG sealer glaze hasn`t impressed me. It was fairly easy to use, but the sparkle just isn`t there. The car is an 05 Accord in Sapphire Blue Pearl. The color has a LOT of metal flake (think bass boat) that *appears* to be muted after the WG Sealer Glaze.

Anyone else find WG products less than inspiring? The "Total Swirl Remover" was all but completely ineffective. I had to do the whole car twice just to get very minor swirls out. Plus, the finishing glaze left about 3 tons of white dust in every crevice of the car.

JasonD
07-24-2005, 08:50 PM
I have to disagree on the WG Sealant. It has become one of my absolute favorite LSP`s. I`m thinking that you maybe didn`t polish it enough/correctly before applying your sealant. If there was any haze left on the paint, it will just kill the overall clarity and look. What pad did you use for the polishing step?

Here`s a pic of how WG looked on an 04` BMW Black Sapphire Metallic 330cic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/JDookie/BMWFender.jpg

Shane
07-24-2005, 08:56 PM
WOW that looks amazing! Maybe I`m jumping to conclusions as I haven`t seen the car in full daylight yet- just under the garage lights...

After wash + clay, I did total swirl remover x2 with a white polishing pad, then finishing glaze x2 with a white polishing pad. After that I used the finishing pad to apply two coats of Deep Gloss Sealer and buffed by hand with a microfiber towel. The finish is incredibly smooth and its very reflective- just not quite as deep/sparkly as I expected. Hopefully its just the lighting.

JasonD
07-24-2005, 09:06 PM
I would actually recommend applying the finishing glaze with a finishing pad. You just *might* have been hazing the surface a bit with the polishing pad, which will certainly mute the metallic.

What pads are these? Lake Country?

Shane
07-24-2005, 09:09 PM
I would actually recommend applying the finishing glaze with a finishing pad. You just *might* have been hazing the surface a bit with the polishing pad, which will certainly mute the metallic.

What pads are these? Lake Country?

Good to know. I used the Autogeek.net pads. I`ll give it a good look over the next time the sun is out.

Here`s a pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/donkengine/b9d3fb9d.jpg

JasonD
07-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Well, that looks great to me! I think you will be surprised when you pull it out in the sun, but if you aren`t happy with what you see, I`d go over it again with the finishing glaze and a finishing pad.

Keep in mind whenver polishing with the PC, only do a 2x2 section at a time, and move extremely slowly to allow the polish to do its job. Make overlapping linear passes, and polish until the polish disappears or starts creating dust. When using very mild polishes, it is common to have to polish a car a few times before seeing the results desired, but this is just part of the game.

Overall, it looks like you did a great job, and you will learn a lot of good tips by hanging out here on Autopia and then going back and applying what you learn to your own car.

Good luck, and have fun! :bigups

Just for kicks, here`s a thread about another good (new) combo on a blue car:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59812

Shane
07-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Ok, nevermind. I am an idiot. After seeing your pic, I turned off the flourescent light and turned on the regular light in the garage door opener. SPARKLE SPARKLE! I guess the flourescent lights just wash out the metal flakes...