PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Removal with the PC?

williams22
07-24-2005, 02:17 PM
I have been trying to remove swirls on my car using a PC and Meguiar`s #83 on a polishing pad. I work an area about 2` x 2` and place pressure on the pad and move the PC slowly. I overlap each pass 50% and make sure to go over each area 2-3 times. I stop when the polish looks much thinner, almost gone.

Sorry no pics for now.

Can anyone spot what I`m doing wrong? I hardly remove any swirls. I`m hoping I don`t have to buy a rotary.

Chris

Nitwit
07-24-2005, 02:36 PM
What speed are you using with the DACP? I usually use between settings 4-5 with great results.

Also if after a few passes, you`re not getting the desired result, you may want to move up a notch in pad strength.

I have car that`s less than a year old that had some dealer scratches. I was only able to get them out with a LC orange (light cutting) pad. Very light pressure with the orange pad resulted in better results than 3-4 passes with a polishing pad.

However, there was some light hazing that had to be worked out with a less aggressive polish, afterwards.

buellwinkle
07-24-2005, 07:26 PM
If the PC and #83 isn`t doing it, you may have to step up to a rotary.

williams22
07-24-2005, 07:51 PM
How many passes should be made with the PC using #83 and at what hand speed?

machboy
07-25-2005, 09:39 AM
i`m having the exact same problem only i`m using #80 with the orange pad and nadda.

DSVWGLI
07-25-2005, 09:54 AM
I would suggest using a cutting pad with #83 if a polishing pad will not do it. You may have to step up the polish as well. I have never used #83 but ssr 2.5 seems to be fairly close which I use most of the time. There have been times where ssr 2.5 with a cutting pad won`t remove some swirls and ssr 3 was needed. So try a cutting pad and if that doesn`t work get a more aggerssive polish.