PDA

View Full Version : What can take off Dry-Erase marker, markings??

mystickid
07-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Well since this question is about cleaning products, so i placed it here in the DP discussion.

Well any way, I took apart my cluster guages in my 98 camry to change some of the bulbs that were burnt ou in the back. My little brother was there and while I went to get something from the house, he drew on the white #`s on the guages with a dry-erase marker. :grrr It looks like crap now and I need something to clean it off. I`ve tried the targetâ„¢ Vroom orange APC with a glass MF on it but it didn`t come off. I tried bleach, but didn`t work. I`ve even tried a little bit of Castrol super clean undiluted :shocked but it still didn`t come off.

I`m losing hope now. My only hope is that maybe Mr. clean magic eraser can do it since even CSC couldn`t.. It`s just dry erase marker, I don`t know why its not coming off :nixweiss

Please help me, my guages look like crap now. All ideas are most appreciated :)

imported_themightytimmah
07-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Hmm, if its over the white, you`re in a tough spot. Something like Meguiar`s PlastX might take off the white letters too, but it will definetly take off the marker. Wetsanding and polishing out the marks will take everything off, if you don`t mind blank-faced gauges. Might be a "different" look, if nothing else works.

wlhump
07-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Before you resort to replacing the gauges, try this. We use it when someone uses a non-dry erase marker on a dry erase board. :wall

Take the dry erase marker and carefully go over the old marks and IMMEDIATELY wipe them with a clean cloth. The solvents in the marker help dissolve the previous marks and then you can wipe it off.

I`m not sure it will work, but it may be worth a try. :nixweiss

Gonzo
07-25-2005, 06:16 AM
They make "white board" cleaner for cleaning off Drywrite pen marks. Get some at your office supply outlet (Office Max or whatever)

mystickid
07-25-2005, 07:35 AM
Ok, thanx for the tips guys. I`ll see what works from the suggestions.

Gonzo
07-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Just remember to do a tiny test area using the white board cleaner, maybe with a Q-tip, first.....

imported_intoran
07-25-2005, 07:56 AM
rubbing alcohol may work