PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing this right?

SugarFox03
07-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Hey everyone, I am VERY new to detailing, and wanted to check with the experts to make sure I am on the right TRAC to doing things right. I just bought on 05 Sport Trac on Wednesday, and I started the detailing today. I washed it with Maguiars Gold Class soap, dryed it with "The Absorber", and started to clay bar it with Mothers California Gold Clay, removing excess detailer with microfiber towels purchased from Fiber-works.com . Is it ok to leave a job over night? It took me two hours to do the very little I completed (started at 7 pm, stopped at 9 pm due to mosquitos). Can I pick up where I left off tomorrow morning (early)? I plan on waxing the truck tomorrow at some point too, but what can I use to remove the wax? I only bought two microfiber towels (they arent that big), but I need those for the detailer/clay. I am washing them tonight so I can use them again in the morning (I know, NO fabric softener!) :) Am I missing anything? I am very new to this...I`m talking I hadnt washed my other car for a year before I traded it in. I only found out about clay bar & microfiber stuff yesterday, so I am not even at the amateur level yet! :confused: Any advice/tips on keeping my ST in pristine condition would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance! :help:

MorBid
07-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Welcome to Autopia.org, the friendly place :)

If your leaving the vehicle parked outside overnight and not going to move it then you should be able to get by with a QD (Quick Detailer) to remove any dust or dirt blown on overnight.

If it`s parked in a garage then just lighty dust it w/a MF before starting. Use your judgement while remembering any dirt or dust on the surface will come back to haunt you while polishing/waxing.

Autopia-carcare.com http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html has a wealth of information to get you on your way to maintaining the finish of your car (will save you alot of searching.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions

Lowejackson
07-24-2005, 07:03 AM
If in doubt rewash the car. Take your time and remember you can never have enough MF towels