PDA

View Full Version : Lost art of detailing??

nolift911
01-05-2005, 10:11 AM
OK - I have a black 04 Grand Cherokee Overland, live in Lansdowne VA and have not had much luck with detailers. Swirls, wax on black plastic pieces, wax still on the car, gooey slime on the seats and just an overall poor job.

I really don`t have the time to take care of my cars so I depend on detailers to do this for me. I don`t mind paying for qaulity - if that is what I get -

I must say that I have tried some detailers in the area (won`t mention names) and their services are not cheap and I get crappy results. Am I picky ? - sure but for $275 you think I could get a decent detail on my Jeep.

Am I wrong? What am I missing?

-Jeff

84 911 Carrera (track car)
01 M5 Lemans Blue
04 Grand Cherokee Overland
05 Yamaha FZ6

Bill D
01-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Totally agree. If striving for true quality is not high on their list and they have no competition that offers better work, they can charge whatever they want for less than satisfying work especially to the more discerning customer :nono

Perhaps, a detailer from this list :http://autoint.com/find_detailer.html#virginia offers what you deserve

Beemerboy
01-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Welcome to the site to start and a very impressive lineup of cars/bike

You might want to see if we have a member here that is near you that can help with detailing, wish I was!

You can also read up on ways here to help your problem by doing them yourself should you choice to.

Again welcome to the site!

nolift911
01-05-2005, 11:01 AM
There is only one on the list "near" me and they are pretty far away.

Maybe that is the issue there is no competition in the area? Not sure.

When I had more time I would do the details myself and not being a pro the vehicles always looked great. I always told myself when/if I could afford it I would have it professionally done. That excerice has turned out poor results and me being lighter in the pockets. I tried to find some time over the holidays but just had too much too do.

-Jeff

nolift911
01-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the site to start and a very impressive lineup of cars/bike

You might want to see if we have a member here that is near you that can help with detailing, wish I was!

You can also read up on ways here to help your problem by doing them yourself should you choice to.

Again welcome to the site!

Thanks!! -

I have my hands full with the two other garage queens as I do them myself. The Jeep is a daily driver and really needs it the most. Of course it gets treated as the "red headed step child" as my wife puts it.

I have a PC and two cabinets of car care products (mostly Pinnacle) all of which get used on the other two...I am the car freak of the neighborhood.

Maybe that is my problem - when I spend my time on the other cars I get perfection cuz I do it myself. I enjoy spending the time on it (when I have spare time)

I would like the Jeep to look as good but would rather spend my time on other things - hence paying for a professional detail.

Anyway here are a few pics...

Great forum guys.

-Jeff

Below Reality
01-05-2005, 12:42 PM
It certainly appears that you have the patience and talent to do a decent job with your other vehicles.

If the local "pro`s" can not do the quality of job that you are looking for, you may just have to bite down and clear out some time to detail your Jeep yourself.

At least that way, you will get the results that you want, plus it will make maintaining the Jeep a bit easier going forward.

Sure you have to sacrifice some time, however, you`ll also save a lot of cash and be happier with the end result.

Bill D
01-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Once you find the time to do a thorough,comprehensive detail, regularly staying on top of your rewarding hard work isn`t too much of a chore. It`s ugly again if you let it go too long.

Thomas Dekany
01-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Hi! I am in Fairfax Va and look at my work on this site or on Autopia.
How far are you from me?

Thomas Dekany

NEW SHINE DETAILING

foris2
01-05-2005, 07:29 PM
:welcome to DetailCity Jeff. It`s sad to hear that a so called detailer would charge for a detail and not give you the caliber of service you`ve paid for. So sad for our industry with those detailers not performing their task professionally. I hope you find a good detailer. Please don`t think all of us do unacceptable work. Good luck.

nolift911
01-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Thomas - I live close to Leesburg and work in McLean. Do you have a shop or are you mobile? Looks like you have an eye for detail from the pics of your work.

-Jeff

Thomas Dekany
01-05-2005, 11:01 PM
I am mobile.

Thomas Dekany
01-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Jim - my number is 703 966 1119 (cell)

e mail is [email protected]

Let`s get those cars looking their best.