PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming project - need advice

CoryB
07-22-2005, 11:53 AM
I`ve just purchased a PC, the Sonüs DAS pad kit and SFX2 & 3 and am starting into the wild, wonderful world of detailing for fun (no profit.)

My initial learning project for this will be my fathers 1990 silver/black Ford Ranger pickup.

The truck lives outside in his driveway and is bordered by several bushes and trees that drop all manner of nasty things all over it. And of course there are birds that live in the trees who happily and regularly add to the mess that used to be paint.

Oh, and it`s been washed maybe 10 times and waxed upwards of twice :wall since he got it in 1990. I figure I can`t hurt anything no matter how badly things turn out.

Anyway I plan to wash with Megs Gold Class shampoo and clay with Clay Magic. Then, if there is any paint remaining, I`ll hit it with the SFX2 and 3 and see if I can get some shine to it.

So the question remains, which wax/sealant should I use. From what I`ve read on here I`m thinking about using Collinite #476s Super Doublecoat Auto Wax, if I can find it locally, or hitting Pep Boys and picking up some Long Haul wax. I already have both NXT and Gold Class wax at home but I don`t know if they`ll give any lasting protection. And I just can`t justify putting Zaino on it...

Most likely the truck will receive pretty much the same treatment as it has in the past. I`m just trying to get something on there to prevent any further degradation of the finish.

Advice, comments, ideas and suggestions are welcomed!

DM101
07-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Over the counter I would try some type of sealant like meg. NXT or Mothers Syn. Good luck..

JamesonC
07-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Holy **** dude, you`re gonna smoke like 3 clay bars doing that one. Good luck man.

the other pc
07-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Sounds like a good plan.

Since you already have the NXT and GC go ahead and use what`ya got. They`re great products.

longevity wise, if it isn`t going to be maintained it doesn`t much matter what LSP you put on it. What`s the difference between ignoring a finish for five years after the wax wears off or four years and 10 months after?

PC.

papi_jay
07-22-2005, 04:27 PM
They say Klasse AIO works the best over Sonus sfx 3 so maybe AIO ?

Let it sit / cure a few days , then whatever synthetic wax you like over top