PDA

View Full Version : SFX or DAS?

richydelsolsir
07-22-2005, 11:00 AM
I was just about to order myself a PC and noticed the package with SFX pads. It`s 20$ more than a PC and yet the DAS kit and seems to come with the same colour pads, which by the description do the same thing......

Which should I go for? I don`t mind paying the extra few quid for a much metter pad, but if there`s barely any difference I`d go for the cheaper option and spend the saving on more products!

TIA

Suasexed
07-22-2005, 11:16 AM
I`m not exactly sure what the differences are...but i think i read on here that the aggressiveness is slighlty higher through the grades with the SFX than the DAS. IE The yellow SFX is slightly more aggressive than the equivilent orange DAS.

I personally went for the DAS pack. Also note, Autopia sell PC + Sonus pad kits, but i`ve found that buying them seperate is cheaper...

PC $129 + DAS $49.95 - Seperate, with a total of $178.95

Whereas if you buy the preconfigured Autopia packs it`s $189.95.

Not a huge saving, but it`s worth noting.

Richt
07-22-2005, 02:40 PM
I went for both. I use the SFX pads for Customers cars with more weathered finishes as they do seem slightly more aggressive and dense.

I use the DAS pads for my own cars, with the exception of the Spot SFX pads as there is no DAS ones.

JeffM
07-22-2005, 02:44 PM
The DAS pads rinse out really easily.

The SFX pads are harder, and more dense, but they create more spin with the pc than the DAS. I switched over to a 6" BP with the DAS for this reason.

More spin means better finish, and more correcting ability from what i have learned on the job,in my garage, if you will

Lowejackson
07-22-2005, 03:51 PM
I use SFX and Meguiars pads, I do not think there is a dramatic difference between the two. The SFX feel as as they would be very aggressive on the paint but they are not

Alfisti
07-22-2005, 06:40 PM
The DAS pads rinse out really easily.

The SFX pads are harder, and more dense, but they create more spin with the pc than the DAS. I switched over to a 6" BP with the DAS for this reason.

More spin means better finish, and more correcting ability from what i have learned on the job,in my garage, if you will

Exactly!

Owning and using most brands, I`d go SFX for the above reason. The one weakness a PC has is that the spinning effect can be slowed very easily, reducing pad effectiveness and resulting in frustration and poor results.

SFX minimises that problem, while maintaining the safety of a PC.

Don`t get me wrong, I do like the DAS pads, but because they`re a larger diameter they distort more and absorb rather than transfer the PCs energy. You can go with the 6" BP, if you want...but you may not be able to use some of the other pads with it.

The SFX foam is also hydrophilic, so it absorbs and holds moisture longer allowing for longer polish hang time.

richydelsolsir
07-23-2005, 06:51 AM
Thanks for advise peeps, I`ve ordered the SFX pads :-)

Gone for the kit cos a bottle of sonus cleanser is included, (and you can`t have enough products ;-) ) and a detailing guide on CD which will probably be useful!

Thanks again!