PDA

View Full Version : Best way to cover up chip marks

optical
07-22-2005, 10:05 AM
hey all,

I was unfortunate to be behind a gravel truck and hot hit with some peddles. The hood got hit pretty hard and chiped off a few spots. Some spots are deep enough where I could see just a bit of white (primer?).

I see products like Scratch X can only cover scratches that do not exceed certain layer of the paint. I can`t say for sure how deep it is but I think it`s more than superficial.

The scratches aren`t bad enough to call for a body shop`s help. A repaint probably does more harm to help to overall quality of the original paint.

Any suggestions how to cover this up. Not keen on touch paint as it`s messy and it does not leave a flat finish.

This is a brand new car and it`s killing me to see these marks however small they are.

Arved
07-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Any suggestions how to cover this up. Not keen on touch paint as it`s messy and it does not leave a flat finish.

Why not? The touched up area certainly can be sanded and polished like any other area of paint.

With a basecoat/clear coat finish, I try to go as thin as possible with the basecoat, then fill the rest with the clear. Once I know I have enough paint to fill the chip, and have given it enough time for the solvent to evaporate (I usually have to go back and reapply clear due to the shrinkage), I`ll wet sand the area with 1500 sandpaper to smooth things out. Usually with a sanding block backer. Megs and others make sanding blocks that can be used, too.

I then start the polishing with 2000 grit sandpaper (WET!!!!), and start working with the usual polishes. I`ll hold off on final glaze and wax for a month, just to be sure everything is properly cured. Worst case, dab a little more clear on, and repolish.

What other options do you have? Strip and repaint? Doing that every time something nicks your paint can get mighty expensive. I`m not sure you want to put your body man`s kids through law school and make his Porsche payments. Glazes and waxes certainly won`t put color back in those nicks, either.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, use it to wipe my tools clean before I put them back in the toolbox. I used to use it to polish the car, but I got turned onto MF :D

optical
07-22-2005, 11:26 AM
I`m a nubie to detailing and don`t have all the tools involved. Chances are with my skill level, I`ll probably damage the goods while in process. But it is good to know that there is hope.

Is there a off-the-shelf method that can just cover it up easily?

imported_truzoom
07-22-2005, 11:41 AM
DuPont makes touch up paints for most autos, and you can easily do a touch up at home. It may not end up looking perfect, but it`s better than having exposed spots or the possibility of rust formation. Chips are just a part of life!

Arved
07-22-2005, 01:18 PM
I`m a nubie to detailing and don`t have all the tools involved. Chances are with my skill level, I`ll probably damage the goods while in process. But it is good to know that there is hope.

Is there a off-the-shelf method that can just cover it up easily?

BTW, welcome! I didn`t notice you were a newbie :welcome

You don`t need much, or very expensive, to start.

Wet sanding is just a couple sheets of sand paper, and a bucket. Add a few drops of whatever car wash you`re using as a lubricant and wetting agent, and you`re in business. Go slow, and don`t let things dry out when you sand. When in doubt, use more water.

When I started out, I found a Turtle Wax brand 5" polisher for $20. Best money I`ve ever spent. Not as versitile as a PC, but at 1/5 the cost, it`s great to learn with.

Also, when in doubt, use the finest abrasive possible. If that works out too slow, take it up a notch. Then work back down to take out the micromarring you put in until you`ve finished up with a swirl remover.

There`s plenty of books on the subject. Meguires has a video I think, too. About 15 years ago, I took a seminar at my local (auto) paint store that Meguires put on. Spent an evening, and learned a lot. I don`t know if they still do that, or if the other companies do it, too, but if you can find something like that at a shop near you, it`s worth the evening to learn and see what they do. Then it`s just a lot of practice.

There are a couple of options for paint touch up products. I got turned onto paintscratch.com due to "the usual round of suspects" (Duplicolor, Dupont) not stocking paint that matched my car. Paintscratch.com mixes it`s paint for your order, to the specification of your make/model/year and specific paint code. I also think they have the best clear, which is available both with and without flex agent (for plastic bumpers).

Hope this helps, and good luck! :bestwish

tguil
07-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Check out this website:

http://www.mingdrdent.com/ssr/index.html

There might be a SSR franchise in your area. It works.

Tom :cool:

optical
07-22-2005, 01:30 PM
What do you guys think of the Langka (http://www.langka.com) product. It removes the blob associated with touch up. Others recommeded this on on a different forum. Would really want to hear what the pros have to say about this product.

How good are the aftermarket touch paints compared to factory? I`m asking cuz others have reported the factory not matching up as it should be and may consider getting elsewhere. I got a 05 Saab 92x which is a WRX rebadged.

I would rather not do the touch up if it leaves a blob.