PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang ---> UPP questions!!!

breakneckvtec
07-22-2005, 06:18 AM
Well its been a while since I have posted here, figured I would check back with my fellow autopians. I would like to add that since finishing college and getting a nice new job I picked up a new 2005 Mazda6 sport loaded up with a 6 speed sport shift automatic. The color is steel gray metallic and looks GREAT! Its like a gunmetal, probably toward the darker end.

I prepped the car this past Tuesday, mild polish with a polishing pad and finished with Wolfgang. I am a bit disappointed. It does have a carnuba look, but its too soft of a look for me. In addition I feel it hid some of the really nice metallic flake in the paint.

I did my girls car yesterday, the white 3. After polishing I decided to finish with UPP. WOW :shocked I havent used it in a while and forgot how much I love the look.

I got to thinking about topping my 6 that has wolfgang on already with UPP and wondered if there would be any bonding issues. I was also curious if it has been done before and if it would take on the look of the UPP or a little bit of both.

Thanks guys :bigups

Pats300zx
07-22-2005, 07:36 AM
I know exactly how your feel about Wolfgang. I felt the look was just too soft for me. I absolutely love UPP on silver. I put on a coat last night on my silver metallic 4Runner and it is so easy to use and the results are fantastic.

I don`t think you would have any issues with bonding with the Wolfgang. Most sealants can be layed. If you are really worried about the look I guess you could do a quick polish with AIO.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Im with Pat on this one. I just dont think WG is "as good" as UPP......UPP is much sharper looking. ( I have other issues with WG anyway) I would advise a simple cleaning with UPC or another cleaner prior to adding the UPP. Im not sure the full benefit of UPP will be added without removing the WG base coat......

AudiOn19s
07-22-2005, 07:54 AM
Man no love for Wolfgang...but I`ll agree...I only use it on black becuase it doesn`t do much for me on other colors..but on black Wolfgang > ALL OTHERS.

I did my brother`s girl`s steel Gray mazda 6 with UPP a few weeks back and it looks amazing...used to have a steel gray 325 that lookd top notch with UPP as well. Save the wolfgang for black cars..you won`t be disappointed.

andy

MattZ28
07-22-2005, 08:03 AM
I find it to be miraculous that you can actually "see" a difference.

Pats300zx
07-22-2005, 08:29 AM
I find it to be miraculous that you can actually "see" a difference.

Trust me. I have used UPP and Wolfgang on my silver 4Runner. With Wolfgang the reflections were muted. After applying it when Wolfgang first came out I was like..WOW..thats it??? :sadpace: :sadpace:

After trying UPP the metallic flake in the paint really stood out. The paint was also noticeably slicker with UPP.

I find that NXT also looks good on silver. I am not sure of the durability compared to UPP.

Richt
07-22-2005, 08:34 AM
If the wolfgang had hid/muted the metallic flake surely you would need to remove the the wolfgang first before applying the UPP? If not wont the WG layer still be muting the look, cant see how you would get the pop back without removing it?

I love the Wolfgang on my metallic black car but also felt that it did mute the look off the gold flecks. The deep wet finish when topped with Souveran was just what I wanted. I have quite a curvy round shape car so the soft carnub look off EG or EX suit it.

Would be nice to add more pop the metallic in the paint though. Has anyone tried UPP on Dark metallics? In my case black gold?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/r-jay-clio/flake.jpg

Bill D
07-22-2005, 08:40 AM
but on black Wolfgang > ALL OTHERS.

You can say that again! :bow

MattZ28
07-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Trust me. I have used UPP and Wolfgang on my silver 4Runner. With Wolfgang the reflections were muted. After applying it when Wolfgang first came out I was like..WOW..thats it??? :sadpace: :sadpace:

After trying UPP the metallic flake in the paint really stood out. The paint was also noticeably slicker with UPP.

I find that NXT also looks good on silver. I am not sure of the durability compared to UPP.

Well, to each his own. No offense either. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect that.

milky
07-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Would be nice to add more pop the metallic in the paint though. Has anyone tried UPP on Dark metallics? In my case black gold?

[/IMG]

I have :) as of now, it`s my lsp of choice. mine has a lot of flake like yours, but it`s silver. really makes the flakes pop, and looks really wet.

Richt
07-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Looks like I need to give it a try then, oh dear!

arc
07-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Has anyone tried UPP on Dark metallics? In my case black gold?

I have, on my Dark Metallic Gray Silverado. I only have one coat on now and it still stopped me in my tracks when I walked out and saw my truck in the sun yesterday. Wow. NXT never got anywhere close. I haven`t tried WG.

I`ve already posted this picture in the Detailing Products Discussion forum, so I`ll give a link. This was taken right after I put on the UPP and it definitely looked even better after a couple of days.

Debadged Silverado with UPP (http://homepage.plix.com/barj/miller/images/metal_flake.JPG)

Richt
07-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Looks great, hopefully have sorted a sample off UPP now.