PDA

View Full Version : Feedback requested for detail srategy

pip9ball
07-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick intro....I have always cared for my vehicles using traditional hand wax methods. However, my wife drives a `03 chevy Tahoe (Burgandy) and i just purchased an `05 Dodge ram (Black). Because the size of these vehicles, I plan on purchasing a PC 7424 or the PC 7336 in an effort to speed the process up.

1.) I`ve read that the PC 7424 is essentially the same unit as the PC 7336 except for the counterweight and accessory shipped with the tool, correct? Im currently shopping around online and seem to find a bit cheaper prices with the PC 7336 so Im leaning towards this. I also plan on purchasing the sonus pad kit.

2.) Strategy for `03 Tahoe -- Paint is in pretty good condition, although some light swirling is visible. I plan on using Klasse AIO followed by either P12S Caruba Wax or Klasse SG. Would you recommend following the AIO with SG or the Carnuba wax? Also any tips on how to apply the AIO with the PC polisher would be greatly appreciated.

3.) Strategy for `05 Ram -- Paint is in good condition (just picked it up 6 days ago). This is my first Black vehicle and I really want to obtain a wet glass like appearance. I was leaning towards the same strategy outlined above, but am really requesting your help on which products to try and in what sequence to apply.

I`d like to be able to place one order to save on shipping costs so your prompt replys are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-P

scottabir
07-21-2005, 09:11 PM
1) :welcome and you are correct abou the machine differences.

2)If you are trying to remove the swirling the AIO isnt going to cut it. You will need a polish to do that. AIO by machine spritz the pad lightly with a water and apply AIO to the pad. I do it on PC on speed 4ish.

3)AIO and SG will give you a glassy look. If there is no marring to correct go straight up AIO and SG and you are good to go!

Tasty
07-21-2005, 09:14 PM
1) Yes, basically the same machine. 7336 is cheaper in my experience as well, it`s what I bought.

2) I would follow AIO with SG x3, and then carnauba topper. But, there are many schools of thought on this. AIO works well with just about anything. Applying AIO via PC will just require more product than you would use by hand.

3) Many experts on black here, but I am not one.

pip9ball
07-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Any suggestions on what brand polish to use before AIO? Also, what color pad (abbrasiveness) should I use for polishing? AIO? SG?

Thanks,

-P

Tasty
07-21-2005, 09:27 PM
I`m not familiar with the Sonus pads as I ordered Propel pads from www.exceldetail.com. You might want to look into those if you haven`t yet. Anyway, Poorboy`s polishes are good, Menzerna, Meguiar`s. Basically start with the least aggressive combo you think will do the job you want done, and then move up from there. Poorboy`s SSR 2.5 is usually friendly enough to polish with and immediately follow up with your LSP.

scottabir
07-21-2005, 09:35 PM
I too do not know the color coding of the sonus pads. The type of pad really depends on what you are trying to do and what polish you choose to use. For a new vehicle that hasnt been screwed up by the dealership a polishing pad and a medium abrasive will do the trick to remove marring. Sometimes depending on paint hardness/softness a less abrasive polish may be needed, the softer the paint the higher the chance of a lighter polish mixed with a softer pad will be needed.

There are soooooo many polishes out there to choose from and all of them have their strengths and weaknesses. I tend to use Menzerna polishes now. although I use them with a rotary polisher. When all I had was the PC I really was fond of 1z polishes and poorboys SSR line both are great polishes and very small learning curves to them.

After using the polish AIO will clean the fillers/oils left by them so the surface will be ready for the SG (which can be tricky sometimes to apply). I think there is a good article in the Hall of Fame about a wipe on wipe off method that makes the application easier.

JasonD
07-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Pad aggressiveness level from most to least aggressive:

Sonus DAS: Orange, Green, and Blue

Propel: Orange, Yellow, Green, and Grey