PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on level polish to use

modernFD
07-21-2005, 12:14 PM
I recently picked up this car, being that the car is 11 yrs old I`d say the paint is decent but obviously it needs a lot of work. I`ve been looking around for what kind of polish to use, I`ve tried meguiars swirl remover on another black car which had paint in a lot better condition and wasn`t too impressed.. I need an opinion from a professional, what steps and products would you use to get the swirls/light scratches and restore gloss. Here`s some pictures so you can kind of get an idea of its condition, the swirls/scratches are a lot more noticeable from direct sunlight, these pics might make the paint look a lil cleaner then it really is.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1447/rx70060cx.jpg

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/6781/rx70015re.jpg

Lowejackson
07-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Welcome to Autopia :xyxthumbs

Will you be using the polish by hand or machine

imported_themightytimmah
07-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Ok, I`m gonna presume you use a PC. Black SS paint is pretty soft, so this is what I`d use:

Optimum Car Polish via orange pad @6

Optimum Car Polish via green pad @6

OCP via black pad @5

Or

SSR2.5 via orange @5

SSR2.5 via white @6

Blue PwC via white @6

Or

Menzerna IP via orange @6

IP via white @6

FPII via white @6

I`d suggest following any of these with one of the following:

Max durability:

FK1 2180

Collinite #915

Cheap Thrills

Poorboy`s EX

Poorboy`s Blue Natty`s x2

Max look

Clearkote VM

Clearkote RMG

Pinnacle Souveran x3

Any combo of the above will work, personally I like the Menzerna polish set via pc, Optimum if using a rotary.

imported_series1
07-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Go with anything ^ he said. BTW nice car!

modernFD
07-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. However I do not own or have ever used any sort of buffing tool, only been using my hands. Would a buffing tool be absolutely necessary or would it be possible to still get a great result by hand only?

imported_themightytimmah
07-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Its possible to do that car by hand, but it will take some SERIOUS work. I`d highly suggest purchasing at least a Porter Cable 7424, I don`t know of anyone who regrets doing so. I`d figure 15+ hours to do that by hand, 5 by PC, 1.5 by rotary. If your time is worth even 10-15 bucks an hour, the PC is a good call.

If you must do it by hand, PM ScottWax. He worked by hand for something like 10 years, and had great results.