PDA

View Full Version : SSR line vs. 3M SMR

Pages : [1] 2

gh0st
07-20-2005, 08:51 PM
I just ran out of my SMR and I`ve heard lots of good things about SSR. I tried using my PC and a yellow pad to get rid of my swirls/scratches but even after 3 coats quite a few were still left. I ordered Four Star SMR but I think I`m going to need something more aggressive. Should I try SSR 2 or SSR 2.5? Is there a big difference between the 2? Should I use the 4* SMR afterwards or just go straight to the 4* UPP? Sorry if these are n00b questions, I couldn`t find anything by searching and its only my second post :)

imported_truzoom
07-20-2005, 08:57 PM
I think you`ll be better off with the extra abrasiveness of 2.5, which does not leave micromarring for most people. Just follow it up with a glaze or a LSP and you`re set. I don`t see much about SSR2 or even SSR1(seems useless, imo) around here.

gh0st
07-20-2005, 09:01 PM
LSP?

Any idea where I can pick up Poorboy`s stuff?

I remember finding a post with all the abbreviations...you don`t happen to have a link do you?

yumyumfun
07-20-2005, 09:30 PM
LSP = Last step product

You can get poorboy`s stuff at autogeek or http://www.poorboysworld.com

Link to the abbreviations (http://autopia.org/forum/faq.php?faq=secret_decoder_ring)

MattZ28
07-22-2005, 06:25 AM
Autogeek sells both, but IMO the SSR`s kick 3M`s ***. I`ve never really gotten results from 3M SMR, but Poorboy`s SSR2.5 + SSR1 combo is pretty damn good. You might also want to check out the DP Swirl Removers as well as Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover - they work in forever and barely dust at all!

kompressornsc
07-22-2005, 06:37 AM
I`ll second the SSR line over 3M. My first polishes were 3M (becasue I could find them locally), and I recently switched to SSR2 & SSR1. Much easier to work with. I even did SSR2 on a black car, 90 degrees out, in direct sun. I figured it would just flash in seconds, but I was able to work it fine. SSR2 took out the majority of swirls, but there were places I could have used 2.5.

gh0st
07-22-2005, 07:17 AM
ok I ordered the SSR 2.5 and some other goodies as well. What should I use after the SSR? I have 4* SMR, should I use that with the white(least aggressive) pad? Or should I not even bother with the 4* smr and just jump to the wax?

Pats300zx
07-22-2005, 07:32 AM
LSP?

Any idea where I can pick up Poorboy`s stuff?

I remember finding a post with all the abbreviations...you don`t happen to have a link do you?

Pakshak also sells PB`s....Here is the link..Pakshak.com (http://pakshak.com)

imported_Amused
07-22-2005, 07:33 AM
I think it would be a good idea to step down to a lighter polish after SSR2.5 before applying your LSP. I`m not sure how abrasive the 4* SMR is, but if it`s a light abrasive SMR, then use it...else if you can adjust your order, pick up SSR1 if you want to stick with 1 product line. Lots of people have had luck with going straight to their LSP from SSR2.5, but since you`ve never used it before, it may be wise to step down to a lighter polish before applying your LSP.

MattZ28
07-22-2005, 07:57 AM
If you use SSR2.5 with a polishing pad and work it in long enough, the finish will be completely free of hazing. You can then jump directly to your LSP of choice.

gh0st
07-22-2005, 08:02 AM
What speed should I be setting the PC on?

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I had no idea this board moved so fast.

Yaemish
07-22-2005, 08:43 AM
I had to do SSR 1 after the 2.5 on my dark blue paint because it left some dull spots.

MattZ28
07-22-2005, 09:01 AM
What speed should I be setting the PC on?

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I had no idea this board moved so fast.

I usually use it on speed 6,

BillyBarou
07-22-2005, 11:03 AM
I like SSRs over 3M as well. They work well in the hot Tampa sun also.

Rob Tomlin
07-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Autogeek sells both, but IMO the SSR`s kick 3M`s ***. I`ve never really gotten results from 3M SMR, but Poorboy`s SSR2.5 + SSR1 combo is pretty damn good.

Completely agree!

As for using another SSR after 2.5, I find that I get a slightly better "wet" look if I finish with SSR1 before the LSP, but it isn`t a huge difference.