PDA

View Full Version : First RV detail... 37 footer

Pages : [1] 2

White95Max
07-20-2005, 09:53 AM
I just got a call about detailing an RV. She said it was a 37`, and she wanted it washed, polished, and waxed. I was very happy to hear that she doesn`t want the interior done.

I have a few questions for anyone that`s done an RV...

1. Is the paint just like a typical automotive paint? Would something like VM or SSR2 be ok?

2. How much would you charge for 37`, or how would you base your price? I was thinking $10 x 37` = $370. Does that sound reasonable?

Setec Astronomy
07-20-2005, 09:58 AM
How many clay bars will that use? :rofl Price sounds right, but what do I know? On second though, might be a little low--is it tall, as in needing a ladder to do the sides?

RJJ
07-20-2005, 10:06 AM
White96Max, I just did my own, just a 21` van, 9`6" high and good grief what a job. Unless you have staging to roll around on you can count on at least three days, mine took over two. What would complicate the job is a rubber roof if the coach has one, and the degree of neglect. Heck you could probably spend a day getting the bugs off.

Me, I wouldn`t quote it unless I saw the thing, including the roof and even then I think $500 is a good starting point if the finish is in decent condition, which it probably is not. Keep in mind that the rv has spent 90% of its life outdoors, under trees and on the highway. Additionally there are alot of obstacles to work around both on the roof and on the sides so if anyone is thinking you just load up the pad and have at it, think again.

Working off a ladder is not fun and heaven help you if it is not a clearcoated paint job.

White95Max
07-20-2005, 10:07 AM
I`m guessing that I`ll need a ladder, yes. I haven`t seen it yet, but the woman`s husband is going to call me back after work to discuss an appointment to see the RV. I guess it`s stored at a place just north of here, so I`d probably be doing the work in a parking lot. That`s why I mentioned SSR2 and VM. I`m pretty sure I`ll be using all sunsafe products. This is going to take at least a couple hours to wash.

And I hope you don`t seriously think I`m going to clay the RV. No way!

White95Max
07-20-2005, 10:14 AM
White96Max, I just did my own, just a 21` van, 9`6" high and good grief what a job. Unless you have staging to roll around on you can count on at least three days, mine took over two. What would complicate the job is a rubber roof if the coach has one, and the degree of neglect. Heck you could probably spend a day getting the bugs off.

Me, I wouldn`t quote it unless I saw the thing, including the roof and even then I think $500 is a good starting point if the finish is in decent condition, which it probably is not. Keep in mind that the rv has spent 90% of its life outdoors, under trees and on the highway. Additionally there are alot of obstacles to work around both on the roof and on the sides so if anyone is thinking you just load up the pad and have at it, think again.

Working off a ladder is not fun and heaven help you if it is not a clearcoated paint job.

Thank you very much for your input. I`ll be sure to check the roof and bug situations before pricing.

I was just thinking about how the price was too low as well. My dad had some advice for me... "If they spent a hundred grand on a motorhome, I don`t think $500 is a big deal."

RBW111
07-20-2005, 10:29 AM
I have a 34 foot motorhome and usually pay $500 for interior/exterior, but mine is very clean. It takes 1 full day. You can get special cleaners for the rubber roof, do it first with a soft brush. The Gel Coat is very durable, you`ll need black streak remover. And on mine the bottom is fiberglass so he uses a fiberglass polish. Next time, I`m going to give him Zaino to use as lsp.

RJJ
07-20-2005, 10:40 AM
RBW111, wow your boys don`t play around and it sounds as though they give you a heck of a deal!, how many do the job and do they use ladders, staging or what?

White95Max
07-20-2005, 10:44 AM
How can I tell whether it`s a gelcoat/fiberglass or a typical automotive finish?

RBW111
07-20-2005, 10:52 AM
It`s just one guy who owns an RV store. He just uses a 6 foot step ladder. Of course there is a built in ladder to access the roof. It`s really not much different than doing a car or boat, it just takes time. For mine, the interior only consists of vacuming and glass cleaning, dusting. The wax I provided last time was fine for the fiberglass and gel coat. Ask the owner, he should know if its gel coat. Or go to an RV store, they will be glad to show you what to look for.

C. Charles Hahn
07-20-2005, 11:23 AM
My advice would be to charge by the foot for this job, not a "total price." If it were me, $25 per foot wouldn`t seem unreasonable.

As for other products if it has a rubber roof and/or is gelcoat, you can get cleaners from the same place you would get your QEW (RV store) as ProtectAll makes these products. Meguiar`s Marine line is pretty good too from what I`ve seen.

I would never take an interior detail job on an RV though -- I detail cars, not houses.

White95Max
07-20-2005, 11:28 AM
$25 x 37` = $925 :eek: That would buy me a new set of wheels and tires! But that seems like a lot of money. I don`t want to underprice the job and regret it later, but that`s a lot of money, and I would kinda like to get the job.

I`m going to be working in the sun, so I`m thinking SSR2 and EX-P. Or maybe SSR2/Nattys? I don`t know if the Meg`s Marine line is safe in the sun.

C. Charles Hahn
07-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Well obviously you should judge by condition; but I guess I figure if I`m slaving on a vehicle that gets abused by the owners (like most RVs I`ve seen) it`s worth it. I also have to remember that I`m buying products that are special for the job, and I don`t use them on a daily basis. Therefore it is going to cost the customer more since I have to invest in, and store the extra products.

I`m on the low side with what I charge most of the time on cars/trucks -- "normal" vehicles. The specialty stuff is where the real money is.

White95Max
07-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Well I`m thinking of saying $15 per linear foot so 15 x 37 = $555.00. But I don`t know how I would reach the roof. With an ordinary ladder, I`d still be a couple feet from the edge of the RV, so reaching to the middle of the roof would be impossible.

Scottwax
07-20-2005, 03:27 PM
How can I tell whether it`s a gelcoat/fiberglass or a typical automotive finish?

It`s a gel coat. The only time you have them with any automotive paint is when the RV chassis is grafted on to something like a F-350 Van chassis and then only the cab is automotive paint.

If the gel coat is in good shape, VM would be fine, if it is faded you should go with gel coat specific products. You might want to discuss with them what their expectations on the roof are. If it is the texturized rubber stuff, they may not want you to even worry about it. Painted roofs pretty much everyone wants protected along with the rest. Heavy bug deposits on the front end will really take up time so make sure you look the RV over.

One product you may want to look into if they are really only interested in you waxing the RV (as opposed to a two step process) is Long Haul`s Truck Polish/Wax. Great one step product, did a terrific job on the 44` Newell I regularly clean.

I`d go with $10 per foot for a one step (assuming you also have to wash it), glass and tires, $15 for a two step and maybe another $40-50 if the front end is just caked in bugs.

Just FYI, most owners of newer RVs usually have a warehouse they keep them in so you don`t see as many oxidized ones as you used to.

White95Max
07-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Well the owner called back and he said that it was indeed a gelcoat. I told him that I didn`t have any gelcoat products so I would have to go out and buy those products for this job. Since I would rarely use them, I would have to raise the price for that reason.

He wanted it washed, polished, and waxed. I told him that I would charge $15 per foot, which comes out to $555.00. He paused for a few seconds and said "I`ll talk it over with my wife and call you back". Well he never called back so I guess I got my answer. No big loss I guess. I`ve got lots of stuff to do before I move in a couple weeks, including at least 3 details, not including my own car.