PDA

View Full Version : Help for beginner

wong
07-20-2005, 09:07 AM
I have been doing little bit this and that and never get a very good result.

I have the following:

Meg DC 1 & 2, Swirl remover (#6?), Scratch X, NXT, mother cleaner wax, liquid glass

Generic orbital buffer 6" from Wal-mart, wool, terry cloth and foam bonnets.

I can buy addtional stuff if necessary if it really help to improve the shine but subject to budget below $50.

My question is what do you use for wool, terry cloth and foam bonnets for my case.

Now, I use terry cloth for everything.

I have light baige color car which has circular scratch due to improper use of buffer, more like dirt trap in the bonnet because of improper wash. So, I am using this car as a "test" to improve my skill. i welcome any help and suggestion.

the other pc
07-20-2005, 11:20 AM
The difficulty in using an low-end orbital buffer is they don`t have the speed or power to actually work products like cleaners and cutting polishes. You can use one "spread around" products like waxes and glazes because they`re basically wipe on/wipe off products but that`s about it.

If you need to remove mild scratches you`ll generally get better results by hand with a product like ScratchX than with a low powered buffer.

In theory the different bonnets have different functions but since the machines barely work at all you won`t see it. Using terry for everything is fine. You should be able to use foam for applying the DC 2 and NXT. The machine can`t do much of anything with Swirl Remover (#9) or DC 1 but what little it can do would be with terry anyway. ScratchX is meant for hand use.

Your best bet for the circular scratch is to use ScratchX by hand (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1516)

PC.