PDA

View Full Version : 2 coats of P21S then the rain came!

Evil Weevil
07-20-2005, 05:42 AM
A couple of nights ago I applied a layer of P21S on my hood and nose, then a second on to just the front of the hood (and the nose). The paint was already about as perfect as it could be, and had been EX-P and already double-coated with P21S`d all over 3 weeks ago, but I had the time and just wanted to add a little extra protection.

This morning, the rain came. And I cannot believe the difference in beading between the front are back areas of the hood! :shocked With no visible difference between the two areas before the rain ( I checked VERY carefully for this).

This means...

(1) P21S doesn`t last very long (the 3 week old P21 had gone) although there was no difference visibly or to the touch after washing?

or;

(2) the extra layer did much more than double the properties expected?

or;

(3) I spread my wax too thin on the original application??? (seems very unlikely)

As I was using Megs consumer product until 1 year ago, I am not sure whether this difference is to be expected, or which of the 3 possibilities above are true!

Anyone got any theories?

JoeK
07-20-2005, 06:06 AM
What color, what kind of car, garaged or 24/7 sit out....how much heat does the hood get. I have a garage queen w/P21 applied almost a year ago and it still beads OK (does need a redo); also have a black Explorer where the hood won`t hold anything more than 3-4 weeks...except Collinite.

Evil Weevil
07-20-2005, 07:27 AM
Hi JoeK - The car`s a Mazda RX-8, `Winning Blue` (mid-blue metallic). Used daily, garaged overnight, spends day in small private outdoor carpark. The `heat-pattern` on the hood (as observed when dewy) doesn`t relate to the difference I`m noticing in the wax. But it has been hot for the past few days and the car has been sitting in the full sun for some of that time... Maybe the PB Spray & Wipe I use as a QD has reduced the initial wax application more than I anticipated? Although I always top-up with wax afterwards with either QD+ (has some carnauba), P21S, or both.

It sounds like the P21S on my RX-8 is behaving more like your Explorer than your garaged baby.