PDA

View Full Version : Hand Compounding???

Reflctn Perfctn
07-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I have read some post, especially scott wax.... That they use to hand compound and polish. I was just wondering how you tackled some of the pain in the but swirls?

imported_rachelanne16
07-20-2005, 07:08 AM
1Z Paint Polish (http://www.1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/paintwork/) can be used by hand. But it may not be aggressive enough for "PITA" swirls.

Some people (Accumulator) like 3M P-III Rubbing Compound (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GSJK9SGJ1Fgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/bgel_GSHKRBY8PNbl/gvel_SGG09CNP1Mgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html) (05933) for use by hand. It is a little more aggressive than 1ZPP, but again, it may not be aggressive enough for "PITA" swirls.

I would really like to know what is the most aggressive polish or compound that a reasonably thorough person could use by hand.

Is multiple passes with 05933 probably the best hand method for problem swirls?

stevet
07-20-2005, 01:25 PM
I get great results with Menzerna IP by hand. Follow up with a pre wax cleaner like VM, AIO, or P21S GEPC and it`s ready for a LSP.

Accumulator
07-20-2005, 02:40 PM
I`ve also had good results with 1z Ultra/Extra, but it sure leaves a lot of marring of its own. While I haven`t tried it, I *think* Hi-Temp Medium Cut (from TOL) would be another good choice.

imported_themightytimmah
07-20-2005, 05:03 PM
I hand compound on small areas. If you use Powergloss via hand and follow with OCP, it`ll look fine on lighter cars. Oftentimes, I go over deep scratches via hand with PG or AutoInt liquid paint correction cream, and then buff out the whole car with OCP. It`s not always worth the time to break out the wool pads for a few minor scratches.

LDPaul
07-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Like Scottwax I am also old school and until recently did everything by hand. Now I am spoiled with my PC. I just takes muscle and the right products.

salty
07-22-2005, 05:24 PM
I have removed 2000 grit sanding marks with 3M fine cut but i could not imagine doing the whole car.