PDA

View Full Version : Removing buff smirl marks

avca07
07-19-2005, 09:30 AM
My car got keyed this weekend, so I have a friend that does detailing. I brought it to him, and he buffed the scratch out and filled it in with touch up paint. The scratch looks beautiful, but there are swirl marks all over the car because he didn`t wash it first. Do you think these marks can be buffed out, or do i need to go buy polish?

avca07
07-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Come on, I heard you guys are pros, not one response?

Rolla
07-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Isn`t your detailing friend a "pro"? Depending on the new swirls/scratches you will need to remove them via a swirl remover and buffer now. There are plenty of thread in machine polishing. So using the least agressive product, u will have to work your way up.

Why not have your detailing friend who put em there remove them?

imported_themightytimmah
07-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Umm the swirl marks might not be his fault - most cars develop them over time from improper washing, etc. I`d take it back to him and have him buff them out with a swirl mark remover and a foam pad.

avca07
07-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Isn`t your detailing friend a "pro"? Depending on the new swirls/scratches you will need to remove them via a swirl remover and buffer now. There are plenty of thread in machine polishing. So using the least agressive product, u will have to work your way up.

I am. I was wondering if he would be able to do it without me buying polish. Just a harmless question, no need to get sarcastic.

avca07
07-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Umm the swirl marks might not be his fault - most cars develop them over time from improper washing, etc. I`d take it back to him and have him buff them out with a swirl mark remover and a foam pad.

Is Scratch X any good. And one more question. Can that be used on just certain spots, or do I have to use it on the whole car for it to look uniform?

jimmybuffit
07-20-2005, 02:52 AM
Welcome to Autopia!

If your friend has the ability to repair the damage from the keying incidence, I`m certain that he can remove/reduce the buffer induced swirling.

Which (of hundreds) polish to use should be his decision; in fact, one would expect a detailer (with a buffer) to have a broad selection of compounds/polishes/swirl removers.

Good Luck!

Jim

Arved
07-20-2005, 04:02 AM
Isn`t your detailing friend a "pro"?

Not if he didn`t even bother to wash first.

Would you? Fool me once...:nomore:

Evil Weevil
07-20-2005, 05:28 AM
If you cannot now trust the guy 100% (which seems unlikely), I think I`d rather tackle this myself. Without seeing the paint it`s difficult to suggest anything too specific. ScratchX is actually pretty good. If the marking is in one area and the rest of the paint is good (ie clean, smooth, polished and hopefully waxed), you shouldn`t need to do the whole car just to `match`. You will need to reapply wax, possibly after a little polishing first in the area. However if the whole car is swirled, then you`re looking at something a little more `involved` :-)