PDA

View Full Version : How do you get rubber off paint?

pontman43
07-18-2005, 11:53 PM
I have a friend that did a few donuts in his new lifted truck and now of course there is rubber all over his paint, wheel wells, and suspension. Well, how do you get off this rubber without screwing up the paint? So far all I could figure out is fingernails, which could harm the paint and also takes forever to get very little off, but I think the rubber was worse. Any better ideas?

Thanks

Richt
07-19-2005, 12:42 AM
I found Autoglym tar and adhesive remover works well for such jobs. Seems to work on cars I have cleaned that have done track days. If you use during the wash stage you can rinse it off at the same time as washing - ideal to do the suspension and the wheel wells etc.

On the paint work you can wipe it on and wipe it off if you like.

MorBid
07-19-2005, 04:38 AM
Sometimes the heavy extension cord I use marks up the front spoiler when I pull it out to the front of the back of the garage. I just rub it with some wax/grease remover to soften it up then remove it with some polish on a seperate towel. No buffer needed.

Gonzo
07-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Check out Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover in the YELLOW areosol can. I did a Lightning almost 2 years ago that had tons of slick rubber all over the rear fenders from some monster burnouts. Worked very well, but not quickly. Used one can and along with one roll of paper shop towels per side.

mgm2003
07-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Poorboys Pro Polish does an excellent job.

pontman43
07-20-2005, 10:03 PM
I`ll let him know about that turtle wax stuff because he needs an otc.