PDA

View Full Version : Test fender/hood/etc

kiaser
07-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Has anybody ever obtained a fender/hood/etc at a junkyard to practice their skills on? Is there a sure way to tell if a fender/hood/etc has a clearcoat finish? I figured if it only cost me $50-$100 for a test hood or something it may be worth the money. Hopefully you could find something with lots of oxidation then you could creat any scuffs, scratches, or swirls you wanted and practice on it over and over.

Also, image a hood hung up in your garage. One side with a perfect finish and the other side it`s nasty scratched swirl-filled oxidized self. Like a detailing portrait.

Bill D
07-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I have two fenders I still hang on to for rotary practice. The shape is a little tough and there`s not much surface area but they are a good start but by all means, if you can get a hood, that would be great.

:chuckle: The hanging hood half detailed and half awful sounds like an automotive interpretation of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde :D

SpoiledMan
07-18-2005, 09:44 PM
You can usually get one free from a local body shop. Check the high end shops(not likely to fix a hood or trunk lid) and ask for a panel. It`s one less piece that they have to dispose of.