PDA

View Full Version : OMG Rubbing Compound!

CloudKicker
07-18-2005, 08:54 PM
My friend ask me to detail his car this weekend and I noticed he had alot of swirls, hazing, lines, etc. I asked him what happened and he told me he used rubbing compound by hand to take out some scratches. Can I use PB SSR or Menzerna IP, FPII, line up to fix this via PC? This is on a black car. Thanks

buellwinkle
07-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Sure, hand installed swirls are the easiest to remove, just start with the least aggresive product and work your way up if needed.

CloudKicker
07-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks. 41 views and 1 response :/

rockafella
07-19-2005, 05:27 AM
Thanks. 41 views and 1 response :/

Because as buell already stated, start less aggressive and work your way up.

Arved
07-19-2005, 05:39 AM
Sure, hand installed swirls are the easiest to remove, just start with the least aggresive product and work your way up if needed.

That`s only half the story, though, right? Don`t you need to work back from the most aggressive product you`ve used to the least to get out the small ("micro") scratches left by the more aggressive product?

Man, that could be a lot of bonnets/pads...

- Arved

buellwinkle
07-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Not necessarily, products like Meguiars #80 and #83 uses diminishing abbrasives so as you buff, even with the more aggresive product like #83, it breaks down to smaller abbrasive granules to provide the finer results as though you used the finer polish afterwards. This is why it`s important to spread the product first before turning on the buffer so that you don`t reduce the abbrasives in one spot. If you need to use a more aggresive product than that you will likely need a rotary buffer and then yes, after buffing with a compound you will have to buff with a milder polish but I don`t think you will have to go to that level unless your paint is very hard and if it was it wouldn`t have neen easily swirled by hand. Since you have a PC, if the paint is that hard, try using a more aggresive cutting pad before going to a rotary. I personally wouldn`t use a more aggresive product than #83 with a PC but would do multiple applications to get the desired results. Mike Phillips of Meguiars has a good post here - http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7034

JeffM
07-19-2005, 01:33 PM
You only need to do 2x2 areas to see what combo will give satisfactory results, then do the whole car...