PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning, driving, then detailing?

viasevenvai
07-18-2005, 02:40 PM
I`m thinking about detailing cars for a side project but I live in an apartment.

I wash my car at a car wash place down the street that takes quarters. I only use their rinse spray, none of the waxes or soaps they offer.

I wash the car there and then wax it there also, but they don`t have a power outlet if i wanted to use a buffer there.

Do you guys think it`s ok to wash the car and then drive it back to my garage at my apt. and then wax it there? It`s about 1/2 a mile down the street. It involves one stop light, and the traffic is medium.

What damage is possible? And is there a way to touch up the car once i get it home to ensure it having a perfect surface to start the buffing/waxing?

I can`t use a hose at my apt...........i mean i could, but if i`m gonna start doing this 2 times a week or so i`d like to play by the rules.

Thanks

imported_truzoom
07-18-2005, 02:59 PM
If the road is clean and you don`t have to deal with a lot of traffic, all you would need to do is wipe down the car with some QD before you start working on it.

You could always QEW wash if the dirt isn`t too bad.

MorBid
07-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Here`s my take, if you move the car out onto the road after washng it at the very least I would do a quick detail (spray and gently wipe). Even if it`s half a block. If I take it to work and come home at night and want to polish/wax I wash it again.

Why risk having dirt or some other debris on the surface when you polish and wax, it will come back to haunt you big time.

Try some QEW (Quick and Easy Wash) instead of going to the coin-op. Then at least you could do everything at once in one place.

buellwinkle
07-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Get a power inverter, plug the PC in and do it there.

White95Max
07-19-2005, 03:45 AM
I`d just get some QEW and wash it at the apartment. That`s what I`ll be doing when I move into my new apartment in a few weeks.