PDA

View Full Version : When do you need to use a glaze (#80 or p21s paint cleaner)

Perm
07-18-2005, 01:44 AM
Hi,

Is it a worthwhile step using a glaze like P21S paint cleaner or #80 speed glaze before applying AIO ?

Why would you use a glaze when AIO has paint cleaning abilities?

Reason I ask is that the perfect shine method refers to using a glaze before AIO as an optional step.

Thanks

Perm

Richt
07-18-2005, 02:13 AM
I normally do it the other way round.

Polish, AIO, then use a true glaze #7, #81, RMG, (unless using SG or AG EGP) to add extra depth before sealant or wax.

Perm
07-18-2005, 02:35 AM
Richt,

I was using the logic that you want the paint to be as clean as possible before applying AIO. Hence

I was thinking the correct order is wash->clay->polish->glaze->seal (AIO->SG->SG).

Do you have an alternative view ?

Perm

Richt
07-18-2005, 02:40 AM
P21s Paint Cleanser does the same job as AIO.

AIO is a paint cleaner, which prepares the paint as a proper base to apply the SG. AIO Leaves the paint clean and oil/filler free.

A Glaze will add oils to the paint to give a wet look and fill marks, AIO will just strip that right off.

SG will not bond to a oily glazed surface. IMO a true glaze such as #7, #81, RMG will be pointless before AIO as it will just remove it.

A fine finishing polish however to remove the remains off any marring rather than fill before AIO would be a worth while step for the perfectionist.

Richt
07-18-2005, 02:45 AM
Not confussing things despite the name #80 Speed Glaze is a mild polish 4/10 on the abbrassive scale.

This is good before AIO.

An example of my prep would be.

Polish - SSR, #83, #80, whatever is needed to leave the surface clean swirl/marring free.

AIO - to clean paint, a great way to show if the swirls have been removed.

Glaze - to add wetness #7, 81, RMG, YCW

Sealant - that will bond with Glaze, EX, EX-p, Wolfgang, #21, NXT

Wax - 12 hours later

Perm
07-18-2005, 03:12 AM
Richt,

Thanks

Can i ask why you do no use SG as your sealant ? Do you think a glaze is a worthwhile step if I am planning on using SG on top od AIO ?

wash->clay->polish->AIO->glaze ? ? ? -> SG->SG

Perm

Perm

Richt
07-18-2005, 03:18 AM
A glaze between the AIO and SG wont work as the SG needs to bond to the AIO or additonal coats off SG.

Glazes leave the surface very oily and the SG needs a clean surface to bond.

I find SG doesnt relly give me the look I want on my black, and I find it a pain to use compared to other sealants. If your going down the SG route forget the glaze and spend more time in the polishing stage with some polishes that give a good gloss by polishing to a good gloss such as the Merzerna range, rather than relying on oils and fillers.

blonzz
07-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Not confussing things despite the name #80 Speed Glaze is a mild polish 4/10 on the abbrassive scale.

This is good before AIO.

An example of my prep would be.

Polish - SSR, #83, #80, whatever is needed to leave the surface clean swirl/marring free.

AIO - to clean paint, a great way to show if the swirls have been removed.

Glaze - to add wetness #7, 81, RMG, YCW

Sealant - that will bond with Glaze, EX, EX-p, Wolfgang, #21, NXT

Wax - 12 hours later

What is RMG and YCW?

Thanks

Richt
07-18-2005, 08:21 AM
RMG - Clearkote Red Machine Glaze

YCW - Clearkote Yellow Cream Wax

blonzz
07-18-2005, 08:37 AM
RMG - Clearkote Red Machine Glaze

YCW - Clearkote Yellow Cream Wax

I do not see those products in the Clearkote lineup.

The ClearKote Product Line: (http://www.clearkote.net/products.htm)