PDA

View Full Version : NXT Removal Help

tzec
07-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Hey all, great site... lots of great info.

I just waxed my 05 black Civic with liquid NXT using the provided foam applicator pad. I put as light of a coat as I could over the whole car "in direction of wind" before going back to remove it. The wax sat anywhere between 25 and 45 minutes before being removed with 100% cotton diaper cloths. Problem is, the paint now has streaks of light and dark all over. I went over again trying to remove the streaks with some MF and it didn`t seem to help any. What caused this and what can I do to fix it? Please point me in the right direction... I spent way too much time making the car look like a turdball.

Thanks for any help!

ScubaStevo
07-17-2005, 07:34 PM
I have that problem with NXT once in a while. I`m not sure what causes it, but Black and red are the only colours that do it for me. I`d also like to know what causes this problem.

SidiousXXX
07-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Just use a little spritz of quick detailing spray or something like Poorboys Spray and Wipe and you will be fine. You could always wash it with some Gold Class wash and it should remove it.

Setec Astronomy
07-17-2005, 08:07 PM
I think you`re seeing the darkening effect of NXT not being uniformly distributed. I find this with a lot of Meguiar`s products, that you can get this streaking. NXT is not a product that is difficult to remove, so you don`t need to really try to get a super thin layer like you do with some other products. You need to go over the car again (Meguiar`s recommends two coats for even coverage, perhaps for this reason), and I think that will solve your problem.

Skotter
07-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Wow, i was just getting ready to search this because i just did an S2000 for someone and it ended up having the streaks from certain angles. I applied two coats, but didn`t try the QD trick, so I`ll have to give it a shot, I too have only experianced this on black cars.

CoryB
07-18-2005, 01:38 PM
I had the same problem on my Chili Red 2004 MINI Cooper S. Put another coat of NXT on it and it should even out. Also, leaving it in the sun for a day seemed to help minimize the streaking (it`s my daily driver.) I guess it`s the carnauba oils not being distributed evenly that caused the streaks.

As of now though, it`s got Zaino on it and no streaking.

tzec
07-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the help everybody. You guys are awesome. I`ve got few things to try now. The streaking seems to have diminished somewhat after sitting out in the sun today so I`m much less bummed. Would it be ok to use a MF applicator with NXT? Thanks! :2thumbs:

JustinR32
07-18-2005, 03:17 PM
I get that too, on my red; I get it with Souveran as well. If you use the PC and a mf bonnet on about 4.5 to remove, you don`t get it. I also don`t get it if I use a glaze first. I always related it in some way to mild oxidation of my single stage paint. Interesting to hear other takes on it.

Tom

jfelbab
07-18-2005, 04:37 PM
I don`t see streaks but I do apply with a PC and an even-coat mf applicator pad. I don`t use straight line application, I do circular. LSP`s don`t need to be applied in straight motions unless they are cleaner/waxes. I apply 2 coats, the first with PC with a finishing pad and the second by hand a day later. I also notice that NXT looks much better after it cross-links, usually a day after application.

And CoryB, there is no "carnauba oils" in NXT. It is a polymer sealant and has no carnauba.

imported_mirrorfinishman
07-19-2005, 05:26 AM
I just waxed my 05 black Civic with liquid NXT using the provided foam applicator pad. Problem is, the paint now has streaks of light and dark all over. I went over again trying to remove the streaks with some MF and it didn`t seem to help any.

What caused this and what can I do to fix it?

It`s very possible that you may have been waxing your Civic on a day when humidity levels were very high. That condition will almost always cause any wax to streak, especially on dark colored vehicles. Keep in mind that humidity levels are also generally high in the early morning hours and the late evening hours. The best advice is to avoid waxing when the humidity levels are extremely high.

CoryB
07-19-2005, 08:24 AM
And CoryB, there is no "carnauba oils" in NXT. It is a polymer sealant and has no carnauba.

You are absolutely correct. I knew that (he said...)

I guess I just lost my mind for a while.

CoryB (hoping his mind gets back soon)

tzec
07-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

It`s very possible that you may have been waxing your Civic on a day when humidity levels were very high. That condition will almost always cause any wax to streak, especially on dark colored vehicles. Keep in mind that humidity levels are also generally high in the early morning hours and the late evening hours. The best advice is to avoid waxing when the humidity levels are extremely high.

That`s a very good point. It`s been so humid here it is like breathing through a straw. That probably had alot to do with it.

klnyc
07-19-2005, 07:40 PM
I have streak too, even thou I used circuarl motion, I still get them. So, my conculsion its the heat and the humidity.