PDA

View Full Version : Name that product from the 90`s

Pages : [1] 2

darkdan
07-17-2005, 09:57 AM
I used to have this stuff that was awesome. It was about 9 years ago.

The stuff was a clear slime that I used as a top coat.

Instead of beading the water just sheeted off. I`d only get water spots at the top middle of my hood and a little on my trunk.

I miss that stuff and can`t remember the name of it.

Anyone know what it is? Anyone know if they still make it?

a.k.a. Patrick
07-17-2005, 10:14 AM
What color was it ? Any particular smell ? Size of bottle? Etc... give us a little more !

darkdan
07-17-2005, 11:22 AM
It was 10 years ago. I don`t know.

It was a tall bottle, clear gel liquid, foam applicator.

How many other products out there base their whole thing on sheeting action instead of beading? I think there was even an infomerical on the stuff back in the day.

Setec Astronomy
07-17-2005, 12:03 PM
I remember some product that claimed that waxes/protectants could easily be forumlated to either bead or sheet, and that sheeting was preferable, so that`s what this product did. I never used it, I just remember the advertising, and for the life of me I can`t remember what it was. Are we talking about the same stuff? I`m sure that most people wanted their car to bead as a sign of their hard work, regardless of the possible (water spotting) benefits of sheeting.

darkdan
07-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Setec, that sounds like the stuff.

They claimed beads acted like little magnifing lenses that caused the light to etch your paint....yada yada yada.

I just liked it because I had almost no water spots for months after rain/washes.

imported_Bence
07-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Tall black bottle, rectangular pink app., and the stuff was called DuraShine.

Setec Astronomy
07-17-2005, 12:51 PM
They claimed beads acted like little magnifing lenses that caused the light to etch your paint....yada yada yada.

Yes! That`s it!

Setec Astronomy
07-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Tall black bottle, rectangular pink app., and the stuff was called DuraShine.

Holy crap, and they still make it! Link (http://www.tvproducts4less.com/auds1-12.html)

darkdan
07-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Sweet!

That`s the stuff!

Thanks a ton.

chml17l
07-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Yes the Durashine really is a blast from the past. I actually used it on my MR2 many years before I ever knew about polishing or protecting paint. I believe it was a clear gel that you applied by sponge. Simply wipe over paint and then rinse it off.

Anybody still using it?

imported_Bence
07-17-2005, 01:52 PM
I don`t know. I have a basically unopened bottle of it. I heard that it can dull the paint that`s why I never trusted to try it.

They claim that there are no solvents in it. Can it be that it doesn`t eat away the existing sealant/wax? The sheeting is more than desirable for me because the rain is very dirty here.

Rob Tomlin
07-26-2005, 04:31 PM
My dad had some of this and I tried it on my wifes car back in the day. I wasn`t impressed at all. No shine or depth at all. Yes, the water did sheet off though, but not for very long.

Bill D
07-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Whoa! That`s a blast from the past. I recall how that rapidly became a "tenant of the disgraced products shelf".

Do you recall Blue Coral`s Touchless? That stuff apparently was so bad Auto Int has a TSB on how to remove it.

chml17l
07-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Whoa! That`s a blast from the past. I recall how that rapidly became a "tenant of the disgraced products shelf".

Do you recall Blue Coral`s Touchless? That stuff apparently was so bad Auto Int has a TSB on how to remove it.

Bill--Wasn`t that the clear goo you smeared over the paint and it was supposed to harden like a second clear coat?

Don`t ask me why I have painful memories about this one, too... :o

94GTStang
07-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Holy crap, and they still make it! Link (http://www.tvproducts4less.com/auds1-12.html)

And if you act quickly they`ll not only send you one bottle of Durashine, but you`ll get two bottles of Durashine. That`s two bottles for the price of one, but you must act quickly before this offer ends. j/k

Man, I think I watch to much TV. :o